[IMG]http://simplefeed.consumerreports.org/rsrc/i/1/_/13inch_dell_inspiron_laptop_for_the_price_of_a_n_2 64795499/4.gif?f=3dcb3160-01dc-11dc-32a2-0019bbc55f7f&s=AewyNia7NTvDvhaDemju5DEsbnVsbCwwLDA *[/IMG] 13-inch Dell Inspiron laptop for the price of a netbook?
I got a call from my sister the other day, asking about the Dell Inspiron 13. My nephew was interested in buying it because he'd seen that it costs only $399, and after reading the reviews, he concluded it would be a good computer for him. (Did I mention my nephew is 10 years old?)
I thought the Inspiron 13 couldn't possibly be that inexpensive; he must have been thinking of a netbook. I went to Dell's site, and sure enough, there was a $399 Inspiron 13. Granted, it wasn't a fully loaded laptop (for starters, we'd recommend that anyone, even my 10-year-old nephew, should add another gig of RAM to the 1GB). But it's certainly more than adequate as a basic notebook.
I should have known better than to doubt my nephew's research skills. But what?s going on here? Thirteen-inch laptops are usually among the more-expensive models. Perhaps Dell is trying to compete with its own netbooks, or clearing out the bulkier Inspiron to make way for the ultra-light Adamo.
Bottom line, if you're looking for a 13-inch notebook and haven't considered it because the price was too high, now might be the time to buy.
?Donna Tapellini

Subscribe now!
Subscribe to ConsumerReports.org for expert Ratings, buying advice and reliability on hundreds of products. Update your feed preferences