Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member TheFreeThinkerlEeAeCe's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1. I disagree. You are not capable of complete logical thought at age 12.

2. I do not teach what to think, I teach how to think.

3. Sure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Atheist Parents(Future Parents): Would you be mad if your child wanted you...

...to take them to church? Any church, any religion, for the sake of clarity.

Lets say they're about 12, with enough sentience to make logical decisions...and of course Im making the assumption that you raised them to be an atheist (which is quite a good assumption, is it not?)

Would you drive them to church and whatnot? Would it be that Atheist tolerance I hear so much about, or would you become uspet that they are interested in "mythological delusions"?

Im sincerely curious...I cant see it going over well with you all.

I know this question can be reversed, and my answer would be "My child will do what I say until such a time as they no longer depend upon me for anything."

Thanks for your time
    ...I was capable of logic thought at 12...and since Atheists are apparently geniuses, this age is quite forgiving
    JP--Great answer
    JP: Provided it wouldnt run up my gas bill, sure...Im actually a very tolerant christian...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd take them. Nothing wrong with exposing them to other belief systems.

Afterwards, I'd sit down with him or her, ask his or her thoughts, help answer any questions he or she might have, and leave it at that. Only if my child specifically tried to draw out my opinions of those beliefs would I interject them, and I would just honestly explain my reasons for not agreeing.

--------

As for reversing the question, you didn't exactly answer the reverse.

The reverse question would be, "if your child approached you about attending services of a different religion, not just different denomination, would you take your child to the services of another religion?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I would take them to church. I am atheist and have two grown daughters that have been to church many times in their young lives. They used to have a bus that would pick them up at the house. I gave them every opportunity to learn about religion and then make up their own minds before they found out the extent of my beliefs.