Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a new fish tank, I let it run for 2 days and bought 5 fish. 2 died last

night. All are fancy goldfish.? i took the water to petco and they said nitrate is hi. I bought liquid to lower it salt for oxygen and instant tabs to remove chloine. I also have a heater and light on the water though light ha not been on for a while. anyway the 2 fish died last night and the 3rd keeps going to the top. I added alot of salt and liquid for nitrate. the fish are still acting funny I want them to make it through the night. What can I do...just let it be keep trying to lower mor enitrate..Any signs the fish can give me. also email me pls to communicate if you need more info.

Im also using a 30 gallon tank with an i-30 whisper filter which has a new cartridge...heater is 3/4 of full power

Downloads
    Uploads
    No wonder they died. I'm sorry, but please research before doing something, especially when pets are involved.

1. You should have cycled your aquarium beforehand. Two days did nothing to prepare your tank for fish.
    2. Take out the heater- goldfish are coldwater fish.
    3. Adding five goldfish into a fully established aquarium would still be considered a mistake. That would create an ammonia spike.
    4. A 30 gallon aquarium is suitable for only 2 fancy goldfish.

~You will need to perform daily partial water changes of about 10% in an attempt to maintain water quality.

Next time why not open a book? Save goldfish, and yourself time, and money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should let it cycle for two weeks, not two days. And the only way to remove nitrates in a fresh water tank is to remove the water. and add lower nitrate water to it. You may have to purchase spring water ( NOT DISTILLED) from the store because some community tap water is very high in nitrates.

Downloads
    Uploads
    when you add fish to a new fish tank, it goes through a cycling process. you have to go through this with or without fish. because you added fish, your tank has a spike in ammonia and nitrate from the waste of the fish. since the tank is new, no good bacteria has developed to convert the nitrate to make it safe. your fish will most likely die unless they are hardy, strong fish. cycling a tank takes about 2-4 weeks. do a bit of research and buy some testing kits and you can make it through the cycling period. most will tell you not to use fish, and it is a better idea not to, but it is possible to use fish to cycle your tank.

Downloads
    Uploads
    dude no you didn't cycle it to cycle dont add in any more fish! do a 60 percent water change and add in conditioner ONLY than wait a few weeks than get your water tested