Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it legal to carry a pocket knife in my car in NSW, Australia?

Its a swiss army knife, and my use for it is 'the tools on it are for use in car maintenance' - as it has various screw drivers etc (it does also have 3 knives and a pair of scissors + misc)

Unregistered

knife in car

hey mate, i just bought my first car, and wanted to gear it out with useful items to help
    with the car maintenance as you also stated. I also have a swiss army knife, and the only info that i could find was that you "Cant carry a knife in public places," what help that was, stupid government, they have all these laws in which we cant easily look up! anyway, it said you could have a knife if you had a legitimate excuse such as for your work or trade, education purposes, recreation and sport. but nothing about cars, i know if you have a baseball bat and no other equipment with it, they can fine you or question the use of the item, so im glad you posted this question, maybe some law student can post a comment for us! cheers.

Unregistered

reasons needed.... i use it to open the mail...

yea , its fine. as long as you have a legitimate reason. So yours would be " i use it to work on my car." if they say "what work?" you can make any response that envoles some work taking place, it could be anything, even something small or silly like " the seat sometimes comes loss so i use it to fix the screws back in place..." becuase they cant judge if it is legitmate by the level/dificulity of work anyway. ( as long as it envoles work at any level its good.) happyface