why are my fish at the bottom on their side?

tweetyintheoc

Mar 22, 2009
i got 4 goldfish at wall-mart a couple days ago. i changed their water some hours ago and now when i came to check on them they were all at the bottom of the bowl on their sides. i nudged them a little to see if they would move, but they didnt ): how could they have gotten sick so soon?

dieing i think...
take them to the dr. or walmart and demand a refund

Help??
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ag166LdKYeX1A_Qr7GWrXgnsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20090322191729AAGPQoF

Fish from walmart? You bough feeder fish. In the conditions that they're in at walmart *(all cramped up with hundreds of other fish)* they don't live very long.. Sorry they're dying. Try Petco next time.

did you put the drops in the water to get all the stuff out of it?

and they could have just been sickly fish (my brother managed to kill his first one in 2 hours and his 2nd one in a day and 1/2)

Thats what you get for buying fish at WALMART. By the way you can take anything back to walmart even food. So take them back, get your money and go to a pet shop.

aww some fish just dont last long there dying or they are already dead im so sorry=/

maybe the change in water temperature they have to sit in the bag in the new water for a while to get adjusted. sorry fr the loss for your goldfish :(((
________________________-

oh you had them for a couple of days oh then idk lol :(

1. They are dieing or dead.
2. If you used tap water and are on a clorinated system such as city water you need to use declorinating drops to take the clorine out of the water before you put fish in it.
3. Gennerally speaking i wouldn't take fish from walmart if they payed me to take em. Looking at most walmarts they don't have trained people working with them and gennerally are ignorant about what they are giving you. I would recommend getting fish from a real pet store where the people that work there are actualy train in how to work with the animals and can help you with selection and information.

Did you add a water treatment to the tank like De-chlor? The chlorine in tap water will kill fish fast! Also, any fast changes in water will kill them too. It is recommended that you change ONLY 25% of the water in your tank each week, or else it is like throwing them into a completely different environment than what they are use to! It took me like 10 years of having fish to learn all this. I think you should get a basic book on goldfish or starting an aquarium so you don't lose anymore fish. I won a goldfish at the local fair in like 1999 and it lived more than 5 years! But goldfish die easily. Chances are that you can't save these fish (sorry). But you can learn from your mistake so this doesn't happen again. Always add De-chlor or some other water treatment each and EVERY time you change or add new water and NEVER do a 100% water change or fish will die quickly, as you are sadly learning now. Go to a small pet shop and talk to the worker or owner. Smaller pet shops are nice to go to because the people working there usually actually can give you advice, unlike people at walmart or other big stores. You can still try and save your fish by adding dechlor or "Fresh Start" (what I use) to the water but seeing as how you probably threw out all of the old water that they were use to, they still might die. I am really sorry about your fish by the way. I know how upsetting that can be. Let me know if you need anything else.

When you change the water keep them in a bag of their old water and put that bag into the new water, this allows them to get used to the temperature of the new water before you let them into it.
If they are still alive...
I believe this is a bladder infection called swim bladder, lots of goldfish get this problem.

You should feed them fish pellets instead of flakes and see if this helps, i've heard it does.
http://www.animalhealthcare.ca/contents/content.asp?id=339&cat=Exotic

Back