Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Chevy Cavalier vs. Chevy Colbalt?

Ok so I found the perfect car for me it is a 2004 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport with 36K miles on it in GREAT condition. I love it and really would like it. But on the flip side of everything my parents think that buying a new Chevy Colbalt would be better but we are talking about the sedan and basic models (not the kind I prefer) I prefer the SS models but they are manual. But what I heard is that the Colbalt's do not have good reviews and that the Cavaliers are much better. Chevy should have never taken away the Cavaliers for the Colbalts. I would much better prefer the Cavalier over any other car because everyone I know that owns one loves it! The underlying problem is the Cavalier is going for $9300 and you could easily buy a new vehicle for only about 2000 more. Another thing I believe that my insurance will be much higher with a Colbalt than the Cavalier.

What are your personal views on the Colbalts and Cavaliers?
    Do you think I will have any problems with the 2004 Cavi?

Any other comments, suggestions or links to sites that may help me let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cobalts are a more modern design and by far better than the Cavalier. (That's still not saying much). Don't let the fact a car is manual turn you off from buying it....they aren't hard to learn and improve...everything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, that seems pretty high for a 04 Cavi.

Look for a used Cobalt SS...Not all of the SS were manuals, only the Supercharged and Turbocharged were.

Cobalt > Cavalier hands down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What new vehicle are you saying you could get easily for ,300? I thought a new cobalt sold for about 16,000.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A Cobalt is trying to be the competitor for those all those japanese souped-up cars. (I saw a slightly-souped Cobalt today, they really do clean up!) A Cavalier isn't sporty, it's more of an economy car. Everyone I know that has had a Cavalier classifies it as "just a car". Reliability may be close because they are almost the same make&model. One was made to replace the other. The only difference is that the Cavalier has been around longer so they can work the bugs out over the years that would make it unreliable. A brand new model could have some bugs in it. BUT..one was made to improve upon the other, so the Cobalt could either be an improvement, or a risk. The Cobalt would be a more enjoyable drive, more power (since the american car market is finally trying to make cars better now) and the Cav would be more affordable in the insurance (it's not classified as sportscar) price, and taxes. Resell value would be better with the Cobalt because it would be a "one-owner" and obviously newer. The Cavi would depreciate faster.......and a lot.
    It just depends on what is more important to you.
    I wouldn't buy new, but compared to an older car with that price, I would choose the Cobalt.