Antisemitism in Abrahamic Religions?

Aug 29, 2008
I read somewhere that Islam teaches that "all Muslims, Christians, and Jews are followers of the word of God," and that according to Islam, no matter which Holy Book you follow (Qu'ran, Bible, or Tanakh) or what you call God (Jesus, God, Allah), if you are of one of the Abrahamic Faiths, then you are "good to go" by Muslim standards. So how is it that whenever I hear about Muslims in the news, it's always because they just went and blew up a whole bunch of Christians and/or Jews? Obviously, you can't blame all Muslims for these things (9/11, the Mumbai bombings, et al), but if the people pulling these things off were truly Muslims, why do they hate Christians and Jews so much? I would love a Muslim perspective on the matter. Thank you, and happy Spring Break!

You haven't read all of the Qu'ran !.

Somewhere it talks about "sons of pigs" and "sons of apes".

People grasp on to anything to convince themselves to commit mass murders and the like. This can often be holy books. Without them claiming to be radical Muslims, you'd just think of them as people killing senselessly for no reason.

First of all, you can't use the word 'antisemitism' for something Muslims do because Arabic people are also semitic. 8^) The word 'anti-Jewish' sounds really clumsy, though. Or anti-un-Muslim.

The leaders and founders of all three Abrahamic religions taught nothing but tolerance and peaceful coexistence, Jesus being the most explicit on that point. All three religions purport to teach tolerance and universal love. So when you see these religions fostering hate, that's not the religion, that's POLITICS.

Religion and politics have gone hand in hand probably since prehistoric times. Religion is used by political leaders, twisted to their purpose, to justify intolerance, genocide, exclusion, invasion and conquest, etc. etc. But religion is never driving the process, it's always the handmaiden to political agendas and goals. A truly godly person, when hearing "God is on our side" would know that was a distortion. God is on -both- sides.

Muslims throughout the world today have good reason to be resentful of the western nations. They are less isolated than they used to be, and they know what's going on. They are angry (and justifiably so, I think) that western nations have redrawn the borders of their countries, picked their leaders for them, and stolen their national wealth. But the Qu'ran does not teach suicide and murder and terrorism as techniques for restoring justice in the world. Political leaders have grown up from among them who use this anger for their own purposes, but again this is politics, not religion.

Actually, I don't believe any Jews were killed in Mumbai, and I'd be surprised if many Christians were. And as far as September 11th goes, the important fact is that the victims were American, not that they were Christian/Jewish/atheist/etc.

Muslims do not "hate Christians and Jews so much," but Palestinians don't much care for Israelis, Pakistanis dislike Indians, and al-Qaeda hates the West. These are primarily political battles, not religious ones, even if they appear - on a superficial examination - to take religious contours.

Actually, I don't believe any Jews were killed in Mumbai, and I'd be surprised if many Christians were. And as far as September 11th goes, the important fact is that the victims were American, not that they were Christian/Jewish/atheist/etc.

Muslims do not "hate Christians and Jews so much," but Palestinians don't much care for Israelis, Pakistanis dislike Indians, and al-Qaeda hates the West. These are primarily political battles, not religious ones, even if they appear - on a superficial examination - to take religious contours.

They're not true Muslims.

Islam teaches peace, but the Qu'ran has passages that can be twisted to justify violence.

A similar process occurred when the IRA used Biblical scripture to justify killing civilians.

An Iranian pastor explained to us that there were basically two qurans, the campaign quran (written when muhammad was trying to get a following) and the enforcement quran (written after he had one). The campaign quran is where you'll find the kinder, gentler verses, but those are superseded by the enforcement verses, at least in the minds of the militants.

Jews and Christians follow Abrahamic religion. Muslims follow paganism. Allah means Moon God. Google it!

Back