Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Questions about a Tropical fish tank?

I thought I'd just go for it and add my tropical fish to the tank - after 48 hours and two treatments. Apparently they will help it to cycle. I've got 4 guppies and 2 with long stringy things comin from their necks?? I dont know what they are called but they're not angel fish. When should i test the water? How long before the fish will be badly affected (if its wrong)? Can you leave LED lights on constantly - I'm scared of fires or overheating plug sockets!? I have an LED that is suctioned to the bottom of the tank glowing up a blue moonlight night for the night time. The light above the tank is a normal halogen. What can i feed them apart from tropical fish flakes? When can i add suckers? and finally.. the guppies are swimming all around the top of the tank.. are they ok? are they trying to get more oxygen? or looking for food? or perhaps trying to get closer to the hallogen light for heat?

Thanks but I think you misunderstood, the fish are already in the tank - I have had it set up for 48 hours and just added these six fish. When can i add suckers? Tomorrow?

Ok. Obviously you are new to fish.
    ~~~><>~~~><>~~~>><}> ~~~~~~
    I started with a pad of graph paper to draw out a basic idea of the tank, where I would put the rocks and create the caves. Run the air lines how you want to angel the flow of the filter to create a currents. Where you will put the out puts for an under gravel filter How many heaters you will have and where you will put them, How many filters

MUST:
    -Dechlorinator
    -Test Kit
    -Tank (unless you are going to walk it every day LOL)
    -Cover W/ light
    -Filter
    -Heater
    -Air pump
    -Air line
    -Air stones
    Recommended:
    Gravel (I like the natural setting)
    Slate Rocks you can make caves so the fish can hide
    Fake plants

Cycling
    Why:
    to establish a bacteria growth that will break down the waist of fish, and remove the harmful chemicals such as ammonia

How:
    set up a tank with the filter, heater ect
    allow the tank to run if you can get the filter media of an established tank this will jump start the cycle. or you could add a small amount of ammonia to the tank such as a table spoon per gallon (NO FISH IN THE TANK) this will start the cycle as well. Let it run for 2-4 Weeks then you may add 1 or 2 Hardy fish(Croy, Pleco, Guppy) . 2 fish if it's a medium sized tank (20+) 1 if it is a small tank (less than 20) They will break the tank in it may take a month until you can add additional fish add a small amount (1) Pay attention to the PH and Ammonia Levels do changes to the water weekly at first 10-20%

Purchasing fish ><> ><> ><)>

First where did you get the fish? was it a box store like PetCo? I don't like those stores the fish there are like Typhoid Marry. I made the mistake of getting a Pretty fish from there and Almost lost my entire setup with an Ick/fin rot situation. Find a store that only deals with fish, has a musty/mildew smell. Because this environment is what the fish strive in. Look at every tank make sure the tank doesn't have any fish that have a distressed or sick look to them. Talk to the employees Ask how long the fish have been at the store where the breeders are from you don't want a fish that was a mail order because the stress in transport. Don't be afraid to Drive the distance or pay a little more for the fish. (I'd rather pay more than Loose my tank that I had put 3 years of work in).