When will everyone realise that a Mac is a PC?

Cymagen

Mar 18, 2009
PC = Personal Computer

Mac = Branded PC

Seriously, has anybody else noticed this & thought the same?

you are correct. back in the day, macs used a motorola chip, while the pc's used intel chips. about 10 years ago, apple started using intel chips, so they're essentially pc's. however, economically, the two are marketed towards very different users. macs are aimed towards those who favor simplicity and style, while the pc's have been aimed for value and power.

imho, they're different enough that i would still warrant the mac vs pc discussion.

Everybody realizes it but the two abbreviations PC and Mac are handy to use and so PC is generally thought of as a Windows based computer whereas a Mac is something by itself and apart from Windows.

you are correct. back in the day, macs used a motorola chip, while the pc's used intel chips. about 10 years ago, apple started using intel chips, so they're essentially pc's. however, economically, the two are marketed towards very different users. macs are aimed towards those who favor simplicity and style, while the pc's have been aimed for value and power.

imho, they're different enough that i would still warrant the mac vs pc discussion.

As soon as they realize Linux is also a Personal Computer

More likely: its is because software developers put For PC on the side of software boxes for Windows, and For Mac on the side of software boxes for mac.

So it may actually be:
PC = Windows
Personal Computer = Computer for personal use

Actually, a Mac is fundamentally different at the (almost) lowest level. The hardware is becoming more and more the same, but the OS is TOTALLY different. Mac, like Linux, is based on Unix and is much more secure than Windows. Windows is basically unsecure by design. The reason viruses and malware exist as they do today is because of Windows' unsecure design. Mac has far fewer vulnerabilities.

This is just one of the most visible differences. They are really quite different.

yea i agree
its just a brand
i also recon Macs are SHIT
they are simplistic for brain dead monkeys
a mac is a pc put together so that they cant be upgraded easily
and wen new 1s come out every1 has to throw them out and get the new 1s
built PCs are better cuz u can upgrade and it can be changed anyway you like
and built PCs are more cost efficient
The Macs OSX is cool tho (i got it running on my PC lol)

Sssssh! (You're going to burst MAC users Bubble!)

Edit: Ubuntu Linux 7.10 with Compiz Fusion and Wine.

People just get hung over the operating systems. I preferably like Mac's OS X than Microsoft Windows. It's easier to use, looks much better and it's fun. To the answer to your question, yes I do realize that, because they are both "computers" that do exactly the same thing, just some application (programs) make it a little differently.

To the guy below me, Mac makes fine and powerful computers as well as design and simplicity. They just don't make super computers because it's a Personal Computer (PC) not something to a huge graphic problem in a few hours rather than 200 years.

People just get hung over the operating systems. I preferably like Mac's OS X than Microsoft Windows. It's easier to use, looks much better and it's fun. To the answer to your question, yes I do realize that, because they are both "computers" that do exactly the same thing, just some application (programs) make it a little differently.

To the guy below me, Mac makes fine and powerful computers as well as design and simplicity. They just don't make super computers because it's a Personal Computer (PC) not something to a huge graphic problem in a few hours rather than 200 years.

Back