Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Samsung DVD recorder that does the same thing, albeit not very badly. I think it's the DVD recorder that's at fault- when it's switched on, it is processing the analogue signal that it's being fed, and whilst you'd hope that it would output an exact copy of what was being input, it's not perfect, and that's most notice on any large areas of white or yellow.

Short of making all the connections digital, I'm afraid I don't have a solution for this.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sky+ HD / DVD Recorder pixellation problem?

I have a Panasonic DMRES15 DVD recorder that for two years has been connected to a Sky+ box and a TV. Initially the TV was an old Toshiba 28" CRT model, but as soon as I upgraded to an HD ready set a few months ago I noticed a problem with picture quality when the Sky signal is being viewed through the DVD Recorder, or indeed when it is recording to a disk.

The particular problem is general fuzziness / pixellation - particularly noticeable on the little yellow highlight blocks on the Sky EPG, which seem to 'fizz' along the edges.

Basically it looks rather like the effect that you get if the Sky output is set to anything other than RGB. And it only happens when the DVD Recorder is actually powered on - when it is switched off, picture quality is fine. And DVD playback is also clear.

Now we have had Sky+ HD installed and the problem is the same. Panasonic told me over the phone that it must be a problem with the DVD Recorder so I took it to John Lewis who sent it away and said there was no problem. I have since had two different sets of advice, neither of which seems to work:

1) Connect the DVD Recorder to AV1 on the Sky box as AV2 is incapable of outputting an RGB signal. This makes no difference.

2) Remove the SCART connection between DVD and TV. This made no discernible difference, but then I couldn't see an image from the DVD anyway because it was no longer connected to the TV!

Anyone have any other light to shed on this? What could be happening between my various boxes to cause this problem - and how can I fix it as it is driving me nuts?

Thanks!