Are there any dangers from using my neighbors wireless internet ?

Trin

Dec 6, 2008
First of all, I just found out that I have been paying 30$ a month for internet that I have not been using. I unplugged my box one day and my internet still worked. I have been accidentaly using my neighbors connection instead of mine for about a year. Apparently I need a different box in order to have a wireless connection. My wireless connection was always really strong four bars and fast so i never realized I was tapping into someone's wireless. Im going to cancel my internet service but is there anything i should know about sharing a signal? Is it dangerous? I don't download on the internet or anything so i shouldn't be slowing down anything right?

He can look at all of your network traffic and get access to what sites you visit and what you type. That includes addresses, usernames, and passwords. That is the danger. Most likely he does not even know how to password protect his network so you are probably safe.

Well, 1, if they're unaware of you using their internet and/or haven't given you permission to use it, it's illegal, and 2, if they're tech savvy, they could probably find a way to connect to your pc through the network.

Well, if your neighbours were computer-savvy, they would have found out ages ago that someone was using their connection. They probably aren't because their wireless internet isn't protected in the first place.

And everyone here will tell you stealing someone's Wifi is not a good idea because it's 1) not nice and 2) its not legal.
It's up to you if you want to continue mooching, but I would probably stop using it ASAP.

Also, what's this box you are talking about? Is it a modem? If you want to use wireless in your house, you can buy a wireless router and connect it to the modem.

Well, it is illegal to tap into their connection. But if they didnt take the time to secure their signal then go for it. If they find out, then you could get into some big trouble :(

what do you means, IS IT DANGEROUS. Its illegal as hell and you can be seriously arrested and charged with about 10 things.

Back