Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

why is my wireless internet so slow?

im on the Telus network and i have a wireless router. my house is small and im in my room most of the time when i use my laptop. i have "good", sometimes "great" connection. which means i have 4 or 5 bars. and im the only one that uses the wireless so i dont get why its being so slow like i have dial up when im loading flashes. and today when my boyfriend was trying to play his call of duty he couldnt even stay online because he had one bar while i had 5 bars. we thought someone was stealing our internet so he changed something, made it private. its really bugging me cause my pages on my Safari are loading suuuuper sloooow.

Making me mad, someone suggest anything?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have a router connected to a modem, try rebooting the modem, and then reboot your router, see if that makes a difference.

Plug a Ethernet cable from your router or modem to your PC and check to see if internet is slow, if so then call your ISP

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have a router connected to a modem, try rebooting the modem, and then reboot your router, see if that makes a difference.

Plug a Ethernet cable from your router or modem to your PC and check to see if internet is slow, if so then call your ISP

Downloads
    Uploads
    change the wireless channel on ur router change it to 5 or 7

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have times where the bars are going down and up soo much maybe something is causing interference with your wireless internet. Also someone COULD be still using your internet .

It isn't hard to hack into a wireless network even with wep/wpa protection.

It also depends on what type of internet connection you have.
    If it's cable your whole neighborhood shares the same backbone and at different times many people could be using it at one time and slowing it down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, for one thing. Safari is already REALLY slow. Switch to firefox, or Internet explorer. I think firefox is pretty fast. But anyways. You may have a very small amount of RAM. (random active memory) which speeds up your processor speed. I currently have 2Gigs of RAM for my motherboard which makes my web browsing a lot faster. I used to have about 256MB of RAM which was the slowest thing ever. I have 100MBs connection speed, which from what I know is the fastest you can get. and it was still slow with my small RAM. So i got more and now I have fast speeds. now about your boyfriend's connection. It might just be that you have a bad internet card that may have 5 bars of connection, but the speed is really slow. Like it's processing data really slowly. (which explains the safari thing) and also, normally when you have more then one laptop on a network, it slows DOWN. so you may have 5 bars, and he has just one. It also may just be your router. See if your internet service can provide you with a new one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is he using a broadband connection? Becase I was connecting to my modem that way and it was TERRIBLE on one jack, and when i switched it to another jack that was activated, it worked perfect.

Or i can suggest he gets a wireless adapter for his Xbox. Dispite what people think, the wireless connection on those is very good.

If he is using wireless, make sure he isn't connecting to someone elses router. They could have the same brand as you, but be farther away.

Make sure he is connected to yours.

If he is, then see how it runs when you aren't using it on your computer.

If it is still bad, Call support. (Xbox or ISP)