Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member SomewhereIBelongt]m's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

My mom always says I'm not like other teens, like it's a bad thing!?

My mom doesn't like that I am different than most people my age (I'm 17/in grade 12). She never fails to inform me that I don't dress fashionably enough for her, I don't have enough friends, I don't 'go out', etc.

The things I do right, she doesn't even mention. I get good grades in school, I have more or less secured a spot at a very good university, and I help out around the house with the cat litter, garbage, dishes, laundry, etc. I don't do things without her permission, I don't have tattoos, my hair isn't some funky colour, I ask before I get piercings. But, none of that matters. She always complains to me that I'm not like other teens.

So, this is what I told her last week: I'm going to start doing things without her permission. The first thing I want is to get a somewhat drastic haircut (I don't actually have a mohawk). I REALLY want this hair, but I know she won't allow it. If I got the haircut, would it be justified, how would you react if your child did this?
    Thanks in advance for all your answers!!! =]

This wouldn't fit in the text, so here is the picture. I want my hair to look something like this:
    http://www.style-hair-magazine.com/images/punkhairstyle3.jpg
    You can comment on the hair if you want, but I would prefer comments on whether it would be justified to do this against her will.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go for it. The beauty of hair is that it grows back. It's your hair and you want to make a statement so speak up. The next time she tells you that you are not like other teenagers, say "Good, to be normal is boring, highly overrated and forgetable, things I don't wish to be." Be yourself and more importantly be happy with yourself, no matter what anyone says.

smila
    First of all...the hair style is nice, i would be happy to see my daughter with it.
    You helping around the house and having good grades at school is great...something your mother should be very proud of.

Downloads
    Uploads
    well you will be graduating in a couple months.congrats on that,and good for you for keeping good grades. I wouldn't be upset with my child for wanting change. If you want a new hair style then get it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you were my daughter, and my two are gown already, I'd be THRILLED you were such a good kid and doing so well in many area.

Mom is nuts, and I'm not kidding. She needs psychological help because she's a fault finder, a bully, and wants you married and out of the house so she doesn't have to pay four your college education. SCREW HER! She is not proud of you one bit, because she's jealous and a very low self esteem person. Sad, She has mental problems. Don't take it seriously.

Keep the focus on yourself and pity her, Someday you'll marry and be encouraging your own kids and keeping her away from that destructive negativity. Make sure you love yourself. She is sick in the head, for real.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tell her , "GEE your right mom!I need to go out and get pregnant and start doing drugs and QUIT helping around the house and let my grades go down the toilet.Will THAT make you happy then?"
    Tell her to think about it.