My boyfriend recently broke up with me because he couldn't handle the long-distance. Apparently it was too mentally and emotionally draining not having me around all the time so he just cancelled me out of his life all together. This is what I never understood, if he loved me so much, why couldn't he hold on?

I have met someone who is interested me recently, and he seems interesting... and while it may seem strange to go from a relationship into dating so soon, my issue is the proximity.

Sure, I missed my boyfriend when we were apart, but I could deal with it. I can deal with being alone quite well.
I'm scared of being tied down by the fact that he's always going to be around. He goes to the same college as I do.
I had issues with this when I tried dating someone ages ago, and while I wasn't really into them, what made it worse was how clingy he was and how much of my time he was taking up.

My long-distance boyfriend is the only guy I ever actually loved. I don't know how to deal with all these things right now. I would rather just maintain the long distance. I was planning on moving cities in a few months but that wasn't good enough for him.

What is my issue though? When the guy is closer I feel like I need to escape. There were times when I visited my boyfriend and when he visited me that I felt the need to be alone.

Someone help me figure this out.