So I dated someone for two years who I love and have loved for a long time about three months ago he broke up with me. And I was hoping we'd get back together but he said it was over for sure and that he had met someone I was so hurt and angry and not knowing what to do in the situation (I know I was wrong) I fooled around with someone, I was angry at myself afterward but I wasn't thinking. My ex and I started to talk again and I decided to come out and tell him because I though I'd rather he know what happened than lie to him and he was hurt but he said it didn't matter later on he mentioned that the thing with the girl was nothing they only hung out in social places never even dated but he wanted me to think something happened.
So for a while we were fine everything was great and peachy and soo good then he just couldn't stop thinking about what I told him and we broke off again.
Now the question is even thought I was wrong at doing what I did, is he right was I supposed to not try and move on when he had told me he had? Is there any hope he and I could work things out?

I truly love him and I'm willing to wait a long time for him is there any hope am I too horrible of a person?