Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it okay to bathe a dog with Dawn dish soap?

Okay my dog Rocky's fur is a bit oily and I read that you can wash them with a little bit of Dawn dish soap then repeat with their regular shampoo. Is that okay?
    I mean they wash the animals that get caught in oil spills with it so I don't think it would do any harm...

If it makes any difference, he's a chihuahua mix(the dog in the pic <-).
    *to John* - lol No, he likes to be outside most of the day in our backyard so he gets dirty pretty quickly.

Also, it's not like I'd be pouring a giant glob on him! More like a quarter or nickel sized amount.

Foodie Girl - Thanks for the powder idea!
    The place where I read about using Dawn was a cat website but I didn't think a dog would be any different. :/
    Rocky and I thank-you for correcting me!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless your dog has got covered by oil at the beach, this is NOT a good idea.
    Dawn is detergent, it will dry your dogs skin and dull his coat - it strips the natural protective oil, not a good thing at all. Dawn is also very dangerous if it gets in the dog's eyes or down his throat - it burns.

I know people are always advising Dawn to get rid of fleas, but that's not very constructive either, it just kills a few adult fleas, as any bath would, the eggs and larvae hatch and the dog is infested againl

Stick to a shampoo made for dogs - I use HyLite on my little dogs, it was recommended by people who show their dogs, gets them beautifully clean with nice coats -- and I only shampoo my dogs once a month (unless they roll in something nasty), just before their new dose of Advantix.

Not good to wash a dog too often, causes dry skin and dull coats.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is fine. Although there are about 10000000 different pet shampoos that can correct any problem, dawn in not harmful unless a large amount is consumed.