Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why won't my Samsung PCK520R 52" rear projection TV turn on?

My tv worked fine, until I unplugged it to move my surge protector. When I plugged it back in, I noticed the little red LED that usually lights up when the TV turns on was already glowing red. I hadn't hit any buttons, I had only plugged the TV in. I curiously hit the power button for the TV, and nothing happened. The light kept glowing, but the tv did not power on. I unplugged the TV, and the light obviously turned off. When I plugged the tv back in, the light came back on, and the set still will not power up. That is my situation. It's a nice big tv, and I don't really want t a new one. What possibly failing component could be causing this? Or is there some sort of way I can "reset" the tv?

P.S.

sometimes when the tv would turn on, it would make a buzzing noise, but it I would power the set on and off three to five times it would eventually turn on without making any noise and everything would be fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's possible the lamp is blown, in which case you will need to replace it to get it working again. Lamps are expensive and I would expect to spend a minimum of $150 (on ebay) but at least it's user serviceable.
    It's also possible that some electrical component, like a transformer, is toast. In this case you would either have to take it in to be repaired or buy a new tv which, frankly, would most likely be the better route.

Does the LED light say anything on your set? I also have a Samsung DLP tv which switches off every once in a while and flashes a light on the front that says "lamp". I believe it is due to the lamp overheating as it will turn on again if I wait a few seconds. Sometimes it makes a buzzing noise as it turns back on. I suspect this might be the same issue you're experiencing. It's a good idea to periodically vacuum the dust out of the rear vents to allow air flow. And you might want to consider re-arranging your setup to allow maximum cool air flow to the rear of the TV.