Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Samsung P3 vs. Zune HD, which is better?

I'm having trouble trying to decide between the two! On one side, the Samsung P3 presents amazing support and its free from the walled garden approach, but on the other hand, the Zune HD has wifi and fantastic build. Help, please!

Edit: er. I don't need to know about the iTouch. P3 comparison please. But thanks anyway!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't care for Apps or having many games, the Zune HD is the best player on the market:

OLED: It's incredible. Other screens just don't look remotely appealing after using the OLED screen. Colours Pop off the screen, the Blacks are pitch-perfect and whites are blinding, even at a low brightness setting. I compared a video on my friend's Ipod Touch to the same on my Zune HD and we both agreed that the Zune HD was a country mile ahead of the Video quality on the Ipod Touch.

It's that incredible.

Sound: I am an audiophile. I am picky about what I hear: is the base strong enough? How are the Mids? It's almost as good as listening to the real instruments and voices! I have discovered hidden melodies and instruments in almost all my music genres.
    The Artist Bios and "Related" are also things I find myself using much more than I thought I would.
    It's a good pass-time on the bus or the train.
    But the Earphones are CRAP. Spend $50 and get some good, durable earphones (there are reviews at CNET.com) and listen away!
    EQ is also CRAP. The best sound comes from the "No EQ" default setting, so don't change it.

Browser: It's actually good, especially with the new update that makes it speedier. I check news sites, my Email, Facebook and search with it and I enjoy it. But it drains the battery like nothing could: you couldn't get an hour's browsing before having to charge it. But Safari Mobile is still much better and faster.

Marketplace: Nothing much to say: reasonable music collection, ability to listen to samples... Like Itunes.

Radio: The radio has nice features like the ability to save songs to your cart to buy them later, but the reception indoors (like in malls or offices) isn't great and I noticed that my Zune seems to get signals later than my car stereo, but it's a well-executed feature overall.

UI: The Quickplay menu is REALLY useful: I pin my favourite Songs, Albums, Artist, Genres, Photos, Vidos, Podcasts, Webpages and apps on there and the History and New menus are also greatly useful. The rest of the UI is great: there are no hiccups in the eye-candy transitions between menus and items.

Some people have complained about the need to press the screen to play/pause or change the song or volume, but I find it's really handy: Press the media button and swipe up or down for the volume or right or left to change the song. The only inconvenient thing is having to pause: You need to press around the middle of the screen, which isn't pocket-friendly.

APPS: Nothing to say. There are 9 apps and games. 9! Some more will be coming out before December (no exact date, but we suspect the 17th): 3 3D games (Audiosurf, Project Gotham Racing, Sk8) and 2 apps (Facebook, Twitter). Nonetheless, the Ipod Wins 100 000 to 9 here.

Overall, the Zune HD is the best MEDIA-player on the market. The apps are few and take a long time to load, but if you will be using the device for music and video, I wound't recommend anything other.

Zune HD
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JPITY8?tag=dcmb-20

iPod Touch
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M3SOC4?tag=dcmb-20