I got a Samsung Galaxy ace a few days ago and now I'm wondering shall I send it back as I purchased it over the net and have 14 days to decide,the phone doesn't feel that solid and most of the reviews are awful,to be honest I haven't ever had a smart phone and I can live without one I purchased it as it seamed a good deal and the phone was free it was from Tesco mobile 500 mins,5000 texts and 500mb data use I hear the battery life when charged is awful and a lot of people have sent several phones back to be repaired,I dont think I could be bothered with the stress,so can anyone tellme is there a way to switch off all the internet functions and all the parts that make it unreliable and just use it as a phone for texting and calls,or Imay have to buy a standard non smart mobile that would be reliable and just buy a sim on its own and advice would be appreciated.
If I decide to keep it how will I know which version of firmware is installed and should I upgrade to a more reliable version and how would I do this?

I have read you need the latest version of Kies installed to implement a successful upgrade,how do you do this?