Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nike+ or Samsung MiCoach - Which is more efficient?

Hi, my name is Ciaran - I am a track runner - I run 800m and 1500m events. As a thirteen year old, I see technology as an efficient method to motivate my training, but the two items looking my money, the Nike Sports kit (Don't have an Ipod nano, so I'd be needing that too) and the adidas MiCoach mobile phone haven't really been tested against each other.
    So, to ensure my money is well spent, I'm looking personal opinions? Please, no bias reviews, I would appreciate any comparisons, or even consumer comments of one of the two individual products.
    So, what'll it be? Is it Adidas or Nike that wins this one?

Cheers.

Becky B
    Key features:
    Dedicated sports features:
    On-board miCoach application measuring sports progress and giving voice feedback
    Synchronization with miCoach web-based coaching system
    Built-in accelerometer with step counter
    Stride sensor and heart rate sensor in the extended package
    Comes with sports headset, 3.5mm audio jack remote and an armband
    2 megapixel camera
    1GB of onboard storage
    FM radio
    Stereo Bluetooth
    Works without a SIM card inserted

Main disadvantages:
    Boring design
    Camera has no autofocus
    Poor display resolution and poor sunlight legibility
    Built-in step counter is really inaccurate
    No memory card slot
    No 3G
    No office documents viewer

Nike + iPod records the time, distance, pace and calories burned in real time as you run. You can track those results on an iPod Nano and, after connecting the Nano to a computer, on the Nike+ website (nikeplus.com).

Nike + iPod consists of a single sensor you tuck under the insole into a pocket in the special footwear on the left shoe, plus a small receiver you attach to the dock connector at the bottom of a Nano. The sensor is a little bigger than a quarter and about as thick as a stack of four quarters. You really don't feel the sensor under your foot.

The sensor and connector wirelessly talk to each other to record each step. Once everything is in place, you'll notice a new Nike + iPod menu on the Nano screen. You select it and press the iPod's menu button to customize a new workout according to specified goals. You can select time, distance (from 3K to a full marathon — or any length you have in mind) or calories burned. Choose "basic" if you prefer an open-ended workout. You can measure results in kilometers or miles.

You should also enter your weight to more accurately measure burned calories. You can calibrate the kit to improve accuracy, though it's not required. Accuracy can be affected by gait, running surface, incline or temperature.

You also choose the iPod music to accompany your run. Apple is selling Nike+ Workout playlists at the iTunes Music Store, combining music plus coaching tips from the likes of marathoner Alberto Salazar. I ran to an electronic music mix available on iTunes from The Crystal Method. Nice touch: You can designate any tune on the iPod as a motivational "power song" you summon any time you're feeling fatigued, facing a daunting hill or in need of a boost.

Periodically during your run, a male or female voice indicates your progress. You can request the audio feedback at any time by pressing the center button. The volume on songs decreases momentarily, then gets pumped up again after you've gotten your feedback.

From what I researced it seems to me that Nike+ is the better product. The Samsung one doesn't seem to work as properly. I myself trust both Nike and Adidas, but this time Nike seems the better choice, I have always wanted Nike+ too, and I have never even heard of the Adidas brand. Best bet would be to go with Nike and Ipod!

thedrunkenmaster333
    Nike+