[IMG]http://simplefeed.consumerreports.org/rsrc/i/1/_/qa_blood_testing_for_pesticides__815739847/4.gif?f=3dcb3160-01dc-11dc-32a2-0019bbc55f7f&s=AewyNia7NTvDvhaDemju5DEsbnVsbCwwLDA *[/IMG] Q&A: Blood testing for pesticides?

Since I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, I?m concerned about pesticides accumulating in my body. Should I have my blood tested for them? ?D.H., by e-mail

Not unless you work on a farm or in another job where you regularly handle large quantities of pesticides. Those are the only situations in which public-health officials recommend routine blood testing for them. Nearly everyone has detectable amounts of hazardous chemicals in their blood, including traces of pesticides such as DDT that have been banned in the U.S. for decades. But the levels vary based on what you eat, where it came from, and what pesticides were used. It?s not clear what risks those small amounts carry, if any, or whether it?s possible to remove them once they?re in your body. To reduce your pesticide exposure, consider buying organic versions of the fruits and vegetables most likely to harbor dangerous pesticide residues. To find out which they are, go to foodnews.org.

Get more information on when to buy organic and find out how to save on organic foods. And read this week's blog on the pesticide industry's letter to Michelle Obama.

Subscribe now!
Subscribe to ConsumerReports.org for expert Ratings, buying advice and reliability on hundreds of products. Update your feed preferences