Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Would this help the food servers who complain in here?

First off, my goal is NOT to decrease the cost of my meal, including tip. I am satisfied with the total paid. But rather to help out the food servers that we hear from daily complaining about the bad tippers, or those who don't tip at all, or tip 15% instead of 20% or whatever the complaint du jour is.

THIS IS THE SUGGESTION:
    How about the restaurant giving the server the same basic salary as now, but give them a commission on what they sell!
    ________________________________________...

The restaurant owner must already compute the sales per server for income tax purposes, and must pay the server their tips from those credit card slips when it was added to that instead of cash. So, the bookwork needed is already in place.

The advantages:
    1) the customer would not need to decide how much to give the server, that would be decided by negotiation with the restaurant owner, just like the rest of our salaries are.

2) no one would short tip or stiff our loyal and kind hearted servers again.

3) servers would be obligated to pay taxes on ALL the money they receive!

4) as in all other service jobs, if the server was not pleasant or helpful or prompt, we would complain to the manager, stop going to the restaurant, or simply ask for another server. Very simple.

5) We would not have to listen to servers whining about tips anymore in Yahoo! Answers.

Again, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with paying less for a meal. MOST COUNTRIES DO NOT TIP, or at least do not tip as a "required custom" which considered a server's pay. They are paid a wage, a tip is either very small as a consideration, or as a reward for EXTRA service.

What are the flaws with this idea to help our servers?

Please, anyone saying other countries tip and pay as we do in the USA, either don't lie, or back up your statement with some links to prove what you say. It simply isn't the system in most places in the entire world (outside of International Hotel Chains, and that tip in SE Asia is 7.8%, and may be skipped if the customer wishes)
    Margaret: I did state, and I did mean that I am satisfied with the TOTAL bill, including the tip. Of course the customer would not save money under this system, but it would be more fair. As far as the IRS collecting 8%, MOST servers do average more than that, and they get a good deal. They also have the option of keeping track of all tips and paying their taxes that way. They have an option.
    I guess the word Indian isn't PC anymore, so I'll say the Native American Princess below really is a piece of work, and a stalker. I don't think I care to smoke peace pipe with her, might catch something nasty.
    It doesn't take a degree in anything to see that alcoholism is prevalent in certain groups. My father, grandfather were alcoholics, I am a recovering alcoholic, with 24 years sober; and ran places to HELP others for over 20 years. For you to deny that Native Americans have a high % of alcoholics is for you to have your head stuck in the proverbial hole. Perhaps you ought to make a list of things about yourself not your ancestors which you are proud, a short list, no doubt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No one cares that you have a degree in ENGLISH, that ahole made a rude comment and all you do is gloat about how insensitive I am for veing offended. F YOU, keep writing all this BS because you think you know what its like living on a reservation. NOT EVERYONE IS AN AOCOHOLIC THERE, IDIOT.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i like that idea a lot. im thinking real servers, (im not one, but everyone else in my family crew is) will like it too. commission.. exxelent

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not a server, but as a frequent restaurant goer I think this is a very good idea. The only downside is that menu prices will have to be raised to cover the cost of the commission. Waiters and waitresses work hard, and they deserve to be paid a fair wage.

The way it works now, the IRS can be quite unfair to servers. They are taxed as if they made an 8% tip on every sale, whether they actually did or not. If a customer gives them 10% or less, they actually lose money. That's because they have to "tip out" to hosts and busboys and then pay taxes on tip money they never received. The wages they are paid by the restaurant are so low that they can actually receive zero checks once the taxes and other deductions are taken out.

There must be a better way.