My bedroom is the finished master bedroom in the attic. The only space unfinished-mostly is a closet. A few years ago my ex put up insulation. -we were going to finish that room also. The crawl space is completely unfinished. The rest of the bedroom was finished when my townhouse was built. This year I found out that the insulation my ex put up was put directly against the roof-which is a no-no. I pulled down the insulation and put the styrofoam baffles (I think that's what they are called) up, that's supposed to help the air flow. Since then my air conditioner has not been able to cool my room down sufficiently. I've never had this much trouble. The AC is blowing cold air, but the room doesn't get below 80 degrees.

I was going to put a ridge vent in to help the air flow. Will this help? Is my AC dying, or did my messing with the baffling mess with something?

If I should get a ridge vent, what's the difference between aluminum and shingles? (and if you've been able to answer all this so far, how much should I expect to pay for the ridge vent?)

Thanks so much for your help, I've had a terrible time getting roofers out to my house. Nobody wants to deal with a small project. It's awful.