Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why don't people who complain about affirmative action complain about soldiers'

affirmative action? They get, for example, preferential hiring upon applying for a job.

No one complains about their benefits, which outstrip pretty much everybody's.

So ... soldiers are like angels, off limits? Why is the soldier hero-worship still so strong in this country? I find it confusing.
    Or, I guess, for example, I don't find my college education worth any less than a soldier's "experience" while less than 30 percent of Americans ever get a college education.

OK, considering that ... our country is not always "protecting" us Americans, but is in fact busy occupying other countries and helping install U.S.-friendly dictators. No, I don't accept the lame-a.ss argument that they're "fighting for my right to say this." Sure, some are. Some aren't. Some are rapists and jerks. Can't people get past the hero-worship long enough to discuss the military rationally and honestly? It's taking the vast bulk of our federal tax dollars and everybody's afraid to question it.
    Oh, also, P.S., all kinds of people actually sign up to put their lives in danger for crappy or no pay. Let's see ... firefighters, EMTs, police. If I join the Peace Corps, I get little and no respect that a soldier gets for toting a gun along with him/her.
    Sorry, Timbo. I have an M.A. and a job. I know it infuriates some soldiers that people won't get down on one knee to genuflect to them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I signed the line I knew I could very likely die for my Country and I was Proud to do it.
    When people join College they do not expect to die....they are not puting anything on the line for their Country.
    Should we give those People that were willing to die more that the one's who were hiding in school more? YES
    If not for the soldier you could not protest or go to school or have the freedom we have today in this GREAT COUNTRY.

U.S. Army
    Military Police

Downloads
    Uploads
    True service has nothing to do with the military. If we spent more money on schools and teachers, we'd have an informed electorate, and we wouldn't have to spend so much money on pointless wars.

That really bothers me. I have friends and family in the military. It's disgraceful that we ask them to go fight--for what? The standard boilerplate is that they're "protecting our freedom." But what is it about the war in Iraq that protects my freedom? It's honorable to volunteer, to say yes, I will use violence to defend you so you don't have to. It's important to have a strong military do defend our actual country against actual threat. But it's dishonorable to use that voluntarism for commercial gain, as has been done in Iraq. I seriously believe that those boys are dying in vain, and it bothers the hell out of me that they're being asked to do that. What can you possibly say to their mothers that will atone for the selfishness of the criminals who sent them there? It's not the same as it was in WWII, when we fought to save ourselves, and the rest of the world, from fascism. And it isn't like it was in the Cold War, when we fought to make the world safe for Democracy.

What the hell are we fighting for?

Your college education is only as valuable as military training if you use it for the good of the people. If you use your degree to make yourself rich at the expense of others, it's truly worthless.

Downloads
    Uploads
    because they've done something more than having been born with a certain skin color or nationality to deserve preferential treatment, they have voluntarily risked their lives for other people. that looks good on any resume.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I try to stay level headed when it come to ignorance, but you seem to be the straw that broke the camels back. YOU ARE AN IGNORANT IDIOT. If you were any good at what you do you wouldn't be spouting off your stupidity. Go back to the drive through.