Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why does my puppy whine for me when I'm right there?

We are crate training our puppy but have a couple of questions. We crate him at night and we have a sectioned off spot for him during the day when he can't be supervised. He's only alone for 2-4 hours when I leave and my fiance gets home from work, so instead of putting him in a cage, we baby gate the kitchen and give him room to run around. When I start getting ready for work, he'll sit there and whine through the gate when I'm right there in plain sight. I'll go upstairs so he can't see me and I'll hear him whining still. He eventually stops, but is that a sign of separation anxiety or is he just trying to get me to let him out. I've never succumb the his whining to encourage it, but months later he still continues to do this. I'm just curious. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    The reason that he whines is because he wants attention and possibly it's a sign he needs to go to the bathroom because when i had my puppy in a crate he would sit there and whine until i took him outside to go the bathroom.

Downloads
    Uploads
    BE VERY CAREFUL! This is the start of separation anxiety. When you come home or leave try not to fuss over him/her. By doing this your telling you pup that something bad happened or is going to happen, and that there is reason to be concerned. Try being very cool about your coming and going. All I do, to tell my dog that I'm going out is say "Bye" and walk out the door. I don't pet her or anything, and when I come home I say "Hi". I pet her when I'm settled down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothing is wrong with him, he is just a puppy. Puppies always want a lot of attention, and whine for no real reason.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think he just wants to be with you