Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why does my dog stare at nothing sometimes and start whining?

Once we were at the hotel and I was about to go to sleep and my dog starting whining and looking around and he kept doing it (kinda staring). It happens every once in a while, he will just stare at the closet or something and whine. It took me forever to fall asleep last night because he just was looking around everywhere and whining. Im not really sure why he does it though. Does your dog do it or do you know a dog that does this?

Yeah, thats exactly what I was thinking (about the ghost thing). One day I woke up at like 3 am and was just laying there and I heard breathing (just like one deep breath) and my dog looked straight over to were I thought it was coming from. I was so scared. But I dont live in an old house...I live in apartments that arent even old so its probably not a ghost.

Unregistered
    Because of their increased hearing, smelling, and vision compared to humans, your dog could be hearing something that you.simply can not, or smell, or see for that matter. For instance, he might hear a howling dog from afar (or even in your appartmentcomplex) and start howling himself, a trait lots of dogs exhibit.
    As for the waking in the night a breathing sound can come from a number of logical causes. Howling in treebranches for instance, a differing airpresure from an open window or door. Or just imagini.g it while comming out of deep-sleep.
    As for the dog watching in the same direction as you, I have two logical explenations.. The first is he heard the same air depression or whatever other thing that created tgfe sound and just looked in the same direction. Dogs are also pack animals and you are his alpha, if you look into a certain area while stressed he might have started looking in the same direction as you did to see if there was indeed something there, even if he had not detected anything before you started looking.
    I hope this helped, English is not my main language so sorry for spelling errors if any!