Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why does my dog constantly whine/growl?

I have a 7 year old Border Collie/Australian Shepard mix. He is the most sensitive, sweet loving dog out there. He doesn't really do much, he doesn't like to play ball or do things like other dogs do and I have found out that that is normal for this type of mixed breed. The thing that gets me is that he has begun to constantly whine or huff. He will follow me around at a fast pace whenever I am walking and will whine at me all the time. He also will just look at me and wag his nub back and forth extremely fast like he is excited. I don't understand what to do, it is getting quite disruptive. I will do everything he wants, let him out, take him for car rides, give him food and biscuits, yet he still does this. I do not know what to do!

He also pants quite a lot when all of this is going on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is he neutered, if not, maybe he is in heat but can't find a mate?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dogs need their owners involvment.
    He's bored. He has two parents with a herding background and he's frustrated.

Sometimes owners will enter them into agility to use their brains and their body.
    Otherwise, get him a sheep and watch how happy he gets.
    He needs exercise. Rollerblade with him, jog, and take him with you both of you using your own feet.
    Take him to a woods off leash to explore scents, places and things.
    . He needs to stretch his muscles, body and brain.

Figure out somehow that he can use those instincts to overcome his frustrations.
    He's trying to tell you as best he can. Listen to him. Teach him things. Encourage his learning with GOOD DOG!
    These dogs are way to bright to ride, eat and sit around. Poor thing.

The best part so far is he's gotten your attention enough to ask others how to help him.
    Good Luck. You'll see an entirely different dog.

We talked a very overweight Beagle's owner to take her to our woods and let her run, dragging a leash. Her owner after a couple of times said that was the happiest she'd ever seen her Beagle. She didn't run off as the owner feared.. She stayed with the other dogs that came with her and get so happy when we stop at her house to get her.to go .

I'm working on other dogs who never get off leash in our neighborhood but some will never have the experience of freedom to run..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Humm! I can't say what is wrong with him, but from what you've said about his age and behavior, it sounds like it's time for a trip to the Vet. You were very thorough about how he acts including the panting, be sure to tell the Vet everything even if it seems trivial since it might be important.
    Personally, I'm thinking along the lines of arthritis, heart or lung trouble - I sure hope he gets better soon!

Good Luck to you both!