Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why does my 7 year old son whine so much?

My son is so whiny and sensitive! He gets his feelings hurt really easily. Lately he has been on this whiny kick and its causing alot of turmoil in our home. My boyfriend is my sons "stepdad" since his dad isnt around. He has two teenage girls of his own that visit. Most of the time they hide out in their room as teenagers do but my son takes it as them ignoring him. Ive tried to explain thats what girls do, but he doesnt understand. Plus anytime anything about the girls come up my boyfriend gets in a huff. So then my son has his so called Dad yelling at him because he's defending his girls and I just dont think it helps. I keep saying that its a faze and I dont think yelling at him will fix the problem, I feel like it will get worse. Worse yet he has started the nobody loves me or the nobody likes me deal. He started having probs the end of the school year and due to my surgery he hasnt been around many other kids this summer. Is this a faze? How can I get my sons self esteem back?

I also want to add that when I try to explain to my son that he just has to do what he is told and to stop whining etc. I look to his Dad to help out and all he can say is rude things, tonight he called him a brat to his face and said half the time he doesnt want to be around him because he acts the way he does. Most of the time he is a great boy. Very affectionate and loving! Loves to play and have fun. I think he is lonely because he is my only child. Being the oldest of 4 I dont relate. I dont have him in any sports because I cant drive for another month (just had shoulder surgery). I also cant help but wonder....I have some self esteem issues because of many accounts in my own life. I cant help but wonder if that is where he is getting it from? Me? I had an awful relationship with my mother growing up and I vowed to not be that way with my son. He knows I love him; he questions my boyfriend and his daughters. I feel like a referee. Help!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It sounds like he might just need to be around some other kids his own age. If the only people he has been playing with were the girls, of course he will feel left out. He probably doesn't feel like he gets enough attention. I wouldn't give him too much attention b/c it may spoil him or make him more whiny. I would just try to find him some friends his own age to spend time with. Good luck!