Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do Labs Whine alot?

ok heres the story.........................

About a couple of months ago we found these two puppies ( stray ) in our neighborhood , so we took them in sense they came up to us. They started to fit in right away, one of them is a yellow lab ( oure bred ) and the other ( which is mine ) is a shehard-Rhodesian ridgeback mix. My dad gets annoyed when they wine and bark when they dont need to , when we come home from whatever they bark/whine loud from the back yeard as we are coming up from the front door.And i really like or LOVE my dog the Mix, i call her " Shugar" after a previous dog we had. And my dad keeps saying that he wants to get rid of the lab, ( which is my little sisters puppy) and i donmt want that to happen, because our house poodle died of that recalled food back then, she died at 18 years old and we had her cremated at the Blue bonnet pet crematory down the street) and i have watch the Dog Whisperer but it doesnt help, they also have that jumping on people habit .....

and the way my dad treats that whining problem is that he rigged a hose and a sprinkler in the back yard on the porch and when we drive up on the drive way my dad walks over there and turns on the water , which makes the srinkler turn on. And of course they stopped and ran to the farther back part of our back yard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are they strictly outside dogs?
    If so, then there's your problem.
    I personally don't agree with dogs being kept outside all day long. Dogs are social animals and love being beside you and being part of your "pack."
    If they are outdoor dogs, that is why they whine. They want to be close to you, to be loved and have the security of that pack type feeling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Poor babies...they love their family. They are whining and barking because they are beside themselves to see their family come home! Think about how small children squeal with excitement when mommy comes home or when they see Christmas presents under the tree or when you tell them you are going to play at the park....that's what your dogs are doing, communicating their excitement.

Unfortunately, your dad is the boss of the house, so your only hope here is to educate him on basic dog behavior. Also, help teach your dogs that jumping on people is inappropriate. There's tons of info on the web about training....see if your dad would be interested in taking you to an obedience course with your dogs. Also, get your dogs plenty of family times and exercise. Both are breeds that have energy and need to be walked/run. Spend lots of time playing fetch and what not with them to wear them out.