Centuries ago we worshiped many gods: some of them were idols; some of them were men. The gods made of flesh and bones were addressed as “My Lord” or “Sovereign.” The only difference between them and the “common” man or woman was that the Lords and Ladies were born into power and wealth and the common man was not. Today we know that blood can make someone Noble in name, but only sacrifice, wisdom, selflessness, and vision can make them Noble in deeds. As we matured as a species we also came to see that idols have no souls and worshiping them robs us of our own. Today, this is commonly known in most cultures and people are no longer persecuted, ostracized, or accused of blasphemy for not worshiping idols. What changed? Someone had to broaden his or her perspective and communicate that vision to others.

At one time we collectively believed that if we sailed past the horizon we would “fall off the earth.” A famous scientist on which our present model of our solar system is based was burned at the stake for suggesting that the earth is not the center of the universe. Moreover, many people who have studied The History of Civilization were introduced to two things about religion for the first time: One, how it allowed a select few to control the masses with fear and laws that many of them didn’t follow themselves; two, the many great atrocities that have been committed in the name of God. Is religion and God the only true source of good in the world? If so then why has it done so much harm? Is it impossible for fellowship, generosity, kindness, love and concern to exist without religion or are these things inherent in our Spirit and accessible to anyone who seeks them, atheist or Christian?

I submit that in time many more of our antiquated concepts about the world, religion, God and how we see our Spirituality in general will also be proven incorrect. It took the imagination of one sailor to release us from fear and unlock the potential that we all have inside us which now allows us to sail beyond the horizon. What if there are more Spiritual options besides judgment and subsequent eternal punishment or favor that are hidden from us because we are afraid? How many more centuries will it take before we are all released from the fear and constraints of the oldest book that has ever been written? The Bible may be the most powerful book ever scribed by the hand of man, but the fact remains that words don’t give people power - - people give words power!

This is not a rant or rave. No, I am not a biblical scholar, although I have been counseled by many , nor am I a Historian. This is a legitimate question that is probably on many people’s minds but most are just afraid to ask. Please ask your mind and your heart and answer as honestly as you can. All answers are welcome from both believers and nonbelievers alike. There is nothing you can say that will offend me and I hope that I have not offended you with my challenge. Thanks.