Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Who can you complain to about an uncomfortable work environment?

Our workplace (retail) gets very very hot in the summer, i dont just mean its a bit stuffy, it reaches 30degrees on the shop floor and 40 - 50 in the stock room (I checked on the themometers we sell), you break into a sweat just standing still, particularly the stock room as the roof is made of metal. Customers complain about it. Our sweets that we store in teh stock room melt (even though it say on the boxes to keep them at a certain temperature, which is ignored) It effects my health, ive come home dehydrated many times and really exhuasted because of it. Many people have brang it up with the managers, they tell the area managers, and they always come back and say "Theres not enough money", or "The store is too small for Air Conditioning(!)" Which is a load of b***s***t, its a large retail chain worth £Billions

Can i complain about this? Will anything be done? Who do i contact? I cant tell the Head Office, there's no joy with them they just come out with excuses
    Degrees as in CELSIUS
    Lol yes i take a water, and yes i am planning to leave, i just want to do something about it instead of letting these people get away with it

I know people work in hotter envirnoments but i wasnt told that before i started was i? and why should we suffer when every other chain of shops has the comforts of air conditioning

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know about the UK, but in the US there is a Better Business Bureau that is a government agency that is in charge of making sure businesses listen to their employees. There's probably something similar in the UK. Or you could do what someone else said, and send a letter as a customer, instead of an employee. Businesses listen to the people who buy from them more than people who work for them.