Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What's the difference between a whistle note and a scream?

Ok I want to be able to sing into a whistle note one day so I've been practicing and it just sounds mousy I guess lol. What is a whistle note supposed to sound like? Like a whistle, a mouse, or a squeal? And how are you supposed to do it correctly?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whistle register is really difficult. If done correctly, it should sound a lot like a flute. Sometimes, when artists like Mariah Carey use it in their songs, it's difficult to tell if the note in question is vocal or instrumental.

Whistle notes should be done in a head voice (or "falsetto"), so if you feel like you're screaming, you're probably doing it incorrectly.

Be careful when working up to this, though. Don't rush straight to whistle register. If you force yourself to sing notes that are beyond your range or capability, you could injure your vocal chords. Instead, continue working in your regular chest and head voice, and broaden your range gradually.

If you have a vocal instructor, they should be able to help you get a wider range properly. If you don't have one and can't get one, I recommend using a lot of vocal warm-ups and exercises, such as scales and arpeggios. Try to go as high as you can manage comfortably, and as low, and when you pick songs to learn, make sure that they have a pretty wide range (and that they work up to the high notes gradually. Octave jumps are hard even when you can hit the note!).

It might seem like a really slow process at first, but if you climb higher note by note, it'll be worth it in the end.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a sample of whistle note singers:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyFF77xkGyU

A scream has a lot more vibrations in your vocal chords.

I'm not sure about how to produce them. I'm guessing it takes a lot of practice and a nice high range to begin with.