Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

What do you think of this guys anti-christmas rant?

It kind of pisses me off and I'm not even Christian. I'm Jew....ISH (actually i'm sort of atheist at the moment) but i was born Jewish and I always thought Christmas was pretty, along with Hannukah (I think blue and silver look prettier than red and green to be honest) but this guy just seems really ridiculous and like a psychotic fundie.

Are you a christian? Do you celebrate christmas? What are your thoughts on this guy's argument?

Thanks.

http://www.sovereigngrace.net/should.htm

In shorter terms, he's basically saying this:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/xmas_t...

if you dont want to read his long annoying rant.

I like Christmas!! I don't care if it's pagan it's fun. Even if I don't celebrate it lol (i help my friend's decorate their trees and bring them new ornaments every year)
    I agree, I like Christmas! I don't care about any religious aspects of it it's just a good time!

Sorry about the second link:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/xmas_tree.htm

And the guy DOES use investigation.....which is kind of like dude get a life?

And you're right, if he doesn't like it he doesn't need to celebrate it.
    To one of the posters: I don't think he's Jewish anymore. I think he said he was born Jewish and I think he must've converted because he is basically in love with jesus and the bible.

Junior Member PaulaTheLibrarian's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    He needs to get something more important to worry about. I take consolation in this scripture:

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days.
    Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ."
    Colossians 2: 16-17

It takes care of a lot of wacko arguments against Christmas, Halloween, worship on Sunday vs. Saturday.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Christmas is not a pagan holiday. It is a day of celebration of Jesus Christ's birth... I love decorating a tree because it really lights up the room like how the star that the wise man saw lit up the sky. The presents are there for those who truly care about each other... the present itself doesn't count, it's the thought.

Downloads
    Uploads
    this is completely related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEn7Y3JaNx0

Junior Member amazon_warrior_98's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, I must agree that I like blue and silver better than red and green better, myself.

Yes, I am Christian. Yes, I celebrate Christmas. My husband and I LOVE Midnight Mass every year.

Ben Stein, also Jewish, wrote an excellent essay in response to people like this who are anti-Christmas. Here is his essay in full. It's short, but well written.

"Herewith at this happy time of year, a few confessions from my beating heart:

I have no freaking clue who Nick and Jessica are. I see them on the cover of People and Us constantly when I am buying my dog biscuits and kitty litter. I often ask the checkers at the grocery stores. They never know who Nick and Jessica are either. Who are they? Will it change my life if I know who they are and why they have broken up? Why are they so important? I don't know who Lindsay Lohan is, either, and I do not care at all about Tom Cruise's wife.

Am I going to be called before a Senate committee and asked if I am a subversive? Maybe, but I just have no clue who Nick and Jessica are. Is this what it means to be no longer young. It's not so bad.

Next confession: I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas trees. It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, "Merry Christmas" to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu. If people want a creche, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship Nick and Jessica and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him?

I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to."

Christmas is not a Pagan holiday. It is true that there is a similar Pagan holiday celebrated at the same time. When I was Pagan, I celebrated it. Now I'm Christian and I celebrate Christmas.

It may or may not be true that the Church simply chose December 25th to coincide with Yule to give new converts something familiar, as they did with Halloween. That is one theory. The other is that the date they have for the birth of John the Baptist is accurate, and Jesus being born six months after John the Baptist, the date of Christmas is also accurate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will not bother with the links, as this too, is an old story. Fact is, Christmas is a celebration of the winter solstice. Research has shown that a more correct date for the birth of Jesus would have been in September-October by our calender.
    Everyone enjoys Christmas for reasons that everyone seems to miss. Many of those who responded to your question gave me the impression that it was because attitudes turn towards charity and generosity at this time of the year.
    I am a Christian, but do not celebrate the holiday because I do not agree with it. However, that is not to be confused with not being joyful and thankful for the birth of Christ, which I celebrate every day. It seems to me a sorry statement for our society that we can only be kind to each other for a very short time, once a year, and for all the wrong reasons. Sort of goes against my sense of order. But I will support your celebration, whatever your reason, because this is the closest we get to being just who we were created to be. Be well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    im catholic and we celebrate christmas but evn if we were athiest we would still probrably celebrate, i love the feel to it and it brings people together

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like putting up lots of colored lights, eating too much and getting drunk with my friends. I like "Christmas", too! (Pagan holidays are usually lots of fun.)

atheist

Downloads
    Uploads
    Christmas holds none of it's original meaning, all it is is a secular holiday for buying gifts and hallmark cards. It's origins may have been pagan but that doesn't mean that's how it's celebrated. Each home can celebrate whatever they want to celebrate. I understand what this guy is saying....but Christmas is not really celebrated as "Christ" centered. I work in retail and I'm not even supposed to say "Merry Christmas", it's not politically correct...I have to say "happy holidays".

I celebrate Christmas and I celebrate that Christ was brought into the world to save humanity. I know He was not born on December 25th...so what? I don't see how it can be wrong to celebrate the life of the savior. While I still hold onto the "Christ" part of Christmas...I still celebrate the secular part of it too. I decorate a tree, buy presents, etc etc. I see nothing wrong with it, I love buying gifts for other people. As long as I recognize Christ, and don't become a crazy greedy person...I see no harm.

Downloads
    Uploads
    consider the damage it does to the planet..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast