Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What to do about puppy separation barking/whining?

I have an 11 week old toy-small size breed, he is really a joy and training is going normal except the separation barking/whining. When I'm gone I have been informed my little dog just barks and whines for what could be hours (I not sure because it happens when I'm not here). When I am I practice the your barking/whining so you get no attention thing like walking away or ignoring, it works, he stops when I get home and while I'm home but while he is alone (which is rarely more then 3-4 hours) I guess he is just a noisy guy. How can I make this stop, he behavior is fine while I'm home and the ignoring trick works when I'm here but don't know what to do about while I'm gone and how to teach him that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hi,

An instinctive canine behavior, a bark now and then reminds you that your dog is still very much a dog. However, constant barking can be disruptive, if not downright nerve-racking. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent or curb problem barking.
    here's how:
    http://dogtime.com/barking.html

hope this helps.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try doing a training excersise where you leave for a few seconds then increasing to a half a min then a min five min etc. Until your dog is comfortable with you being gone for as long as you need to also try not to make a big deal about leaving and make sure you leave some fun stuff for your dog to do or play with. Hope I could help!

Downloads
    Uploads
    He might be doing that because he misses you. If you have a old shirt that you don't wear anymore, wear it around to get the scent of you onto the tshirt. Then when you go to leave, place the shirt around him. He will feel and think that your near him. I had to do this the first couple of weeks when we got our puppy. Also when my dad went on vacation, his dog done the same thing and so my mom put a shirt where his dog slept the the whining stopped.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There isnt really no way to stop the puppy...Because I bought me a 6 week old last year and he would bark all day all night and it wouldnt stop...And it would really last hours.At night when he barked it was to use the batroom and he was in a cage.And other than that its just what puppies do...TRUST ME.He got out of that stage of barking and whining when he was about 5-6 months old...(hes 1 year old now)