I drive a Peugeot 405 (1991). It's a well-kept vehicle which has been in my ownership since assembly. Recently, I returned from a long-distance trip and the next day I began to hear a slight grinding noise in the drive shaft area. I also noticed that the noise does not occur when I depress the clutch. My mechanic removed the driver's side tire and turned the shaft but we heard no noise. It almost sounds like rubber grinding against metal in tune with the rolling vehicle. Prior to that I also occasionally heard a whining noise when I release the clutch whenever changing the gears upward, especially from 1st to 2nd.The whine usually occurs when the clutch reaches midway and the car begins to move forward.I can release it in such a way that the noise does not occur, but then the car jerks into the next gear rather than feeling smooth. Since I began hearing the grind, the whine is much more prominent than before. Also, the clutch sometimes judders when releasing it in the 1st gear. i was wondering whether these noises could be due to low gearbox oil. There was a time when I changed the drive shaft and in replacing it, the seal was ruptured and I lost some amount of gear oil and had to change the seal before the leak was stopped.I have since not had any leaks, but I was thinking maybe the oil level was low and has since gone even lower due to evaporation. Any help out there? Thanks!