Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very loud beep or whine when trying to install EVGA GeForce 9800GT?

Okay, so I just put in the Corsair 750 watt power supply that I bought from Newegg.com, together with the EVGA GeForce 9800GT graphics card. The power supply seems to run very well, and there was absolutely no problem hooking everything up.

However, when I installed the graphics card and tried to start up my computer, a piercing sound (similar to that of a home smoke alarm going off) started the split second that I hit the power button. I know that some machines throw an error with a component after about 5-10 seconds of the machine starting up and finding the issue - but this happened right when it received power, which eliminates that issue.

Has anyone experienced this before? This is the version of the card that vents out of the back of the PCI slot and is a double-wide card, yet it did fit fine into the card slot and the computer itself. I've only tried it once, but it was so loud and everyone is going to bed. But...clearly, there is some kind of issue going on. Any suggestions from someone who has maybe had this happen before? What could it be? I mean, I could say to myself that "maybe the card is bad." But...otherwise it's kind of odd to have that happen with a brand new card.
    System specs:

Pentium Dual Core 1.6GHz processor.
    4GB of PC2-5300 DDR2 RAM

Running Vista Home Premium
    Okay, so I wrote that description down improperly. It's one of the most annoying sounds there are - a loud whining noise that seems to come from the cooling fan. It's WAY loud...like 60 decibels kind of loud.
    Awesome, thanks, bubbie. I didn't even see that. :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    6 pin PCI-E power connector must be plugged into the card.

Unregistered

Samething

I have the same issue but when I put power into it it shuts down my machine. If I leave the connectors on the machine won't start.