Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is there a way to keep a dog from whining every time someone leaves?

Just recently, my fiance's cousin came to stay with us, so he can get back on his feet. He brought with him his terrier/beagle mix puppy. I don't believe she is much older than a year.

Don't get me wrong, she's adorable, and very friendly. Most of the time she really doesn't bother anyone. However, every time someone goes outside and doesn't take her, she whines for anywhere from 10-30 minutes. That does get a tad annoying, lol.

Is there anything I can do to get her to stop? Usually it's me in here with her...I don't want to be mean to her or anything like that, I just would like to know if there is a way.

Thanks for any help

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are some things that may help:
    1. Desensitize him to people leaving. When he is calm and with you, just leave for one second, and come back. Praise him for not whining and keep repeating. Once he is good with that, leave for a longer period of time (30 seconds) and come back. Keep repeating, and slowly increase the duration. Increase the duration slowly so that he doesn't start whining. If he does, then make sure to wait until he stops before you come back. Keep sessions short and keep it positive.

2. Teach him the quiet command. Have someone leave so she starts whining. Then say quiet, if she stops, mark her (Yes) praise her a lot and give her a lot of treats. If she doesn't then have the person come back. As soon as she stops, mark her (Yes), praise and treat her well. Keep repeating.

3. When someone is about to leave, you can try and get her attention and play with her or do obedience commands with her so that she doesn't focus of the person leaving. Keep her engaged until the person has left and for a bit after.

The most important thing is not to reward her whining. When she starts whining, do not go over to her and give her affection, etc. Either get her to do something else, e.g. obedience commands, give her some food toys to work on, or just ignore her. If you want to give her food toys, do it before the person leaves and before she starts whining.

Hope this helps. Good luck!