Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sudden Whining in My Dog?

My dog is a little over one year old and she all the sudden started whining a lot. It appears to be psychological - it's really bad when we leave the room. Usually when we leave the room, she will just go outside in the backyard and roam around, or lay on the couch and take a nap. Now she consntantly whines when we leave. She stops whining when I pet or pay attention to her. We shower her with attention, and I'm wondering if we have just spoiled her and she wants it constantly. We have an appointment with the vet on Monday, but I have a feeling he won't know the ANSWER, he will speculate, and say to keep an eye on her for a couple weeks, etc... Any ideas?

Also - She doesn't seem to have any source of pain, she has a doggy door so can go outside when she wants, and she has plenty of food and water.
    Seperation anxiety makes sense, but even all of the sudden? And even when I am sitting right there? I really do hope it's seperation anxiety, because that is something I can deal with! I don't want something to be seriously wrong with her! Thx so far everyone!
    My dog is a puggle... maybe it's a pug thing!!

We are going through a training class right now, I will definitly have to work on this. I guess I do baby her too much. Thanks everyone, this is definitly something I can deal with!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dogs get separation anxiety. This is treated with behavior modification, and sometimes medication. Such as Clomicalm.

Good Luck :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you pet her to stop her from crying, it reinforces her bad behavior. She associates whining with you petting her. She may have separation anxiety. The best thing to do is get her accustomed to the sound of you leaving (jangling keys, getting shoes/coat on, etc.). Leave for short amounts of time, but wait outside the door at first. If you hear her start to whine, surprise her by opening the door and telling her "NO" in a firm voice. You can gradually lengthen the time you are away without her crying.