Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not letting your laptop overheat, keeping cooling vents clear!?

I use my laptop on my bed, should I be doing the following- putting it into hibernation mode when I leave my room? Putting it on a book was another suggestion, but mine is 15.5 inches, so wouldn't I need a really big book for that? Does the book then give space between the underside of the laptop and whatever it's sitting on, so allowing for cooling air to come in?

What about having it on your 'lap'? (That's its name, isn't it? )

Downloads
    Uploads
    First, when you leave your room, the best way to leave your laptop is with the TOP of the laptop (The one that has the brand in big letters/logo etc) face down so that the back of the laptop (Where the fan and stuff is is standing straight. This allows for the best air circulation as you can imagine.

Secondly, When using it, you can use a book to put it on and it is often best to have the book smaller than the base of the laptop so you can leave the fan uncovered.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't worry about hibernation mode. I would get a designated laptop cooling pad. They have holes for airflow and extra fans to move the air. Then you can put it on your lap. If you look at the bottom of your laptop, you will actually see the places where air is supposed to move. Covering these with bed sheets or clothes could harm the computer. I attached a link to a cooling pad that Best Buy has.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To be on the safe side get a designated laptop cooling pad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Despite the name, you should avoid using a laptop on a lap, since the cloth fibres etc can be sucked into the vents with older designs, and can cause hot air to gather inside the main 'chassis' of the base. A smaller book which doesn't cause the laptop to be unsupported at the sides can be used, or better yet, a piece of cardboard will suffice.
    Quite probably your laptop has feet; keep them on a flat surface, so the vents stay open to the air.
    A laptop on a lap can cause dust, or even trousers blocking the vents completely.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Despite the name, you should avoid using a laptop on a lap, since the cloth fibres etc can be sucked into the vents with older designs, and can cause hot air to gather inside the main 'chassis' of the base. A smaller book which doesn't cause the laptop to be unsupported at the sides can be used, or better yet, a piece of cardboard will suffice.
    Quite probably your laptop has feet; keep them on a flat surface, so the vents stay open to the air.
    A laptop on a lap can cause dust, or even trousers blocking the vents completely.