Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member t~ATLBravesBabyGirl~t's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smoke came out of the ac vent! Scared!?

The thermostat was broken in my apt,the guy came and fixed it but while working in it.. Smoke started billowing out of the vent in my living room.. That was 6 hours or so ago.. I can still smell the burning smell faintly.. The ac is working great though.. My bf says that the guy probably crossed wires accidentally (even tho the guy said it was probably just the heater).. I am scared it can happen again in the middle of the night!

Is it likely?

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    next time i would ask the repairman what just happened. but the only thing i can suggest is take a smoke detector off the cieling in the near by area and put it near the ac unit. if you have a heat detector, your up the creek without a paddle but if you smell smoke or something burning in the middle of the night call the FD. they will come by with a thermal imaging camera to see if its actually on fire. just some piece of mind

Junior Member IntelligentPickle's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Smoke started billowing out of the vent in my living room"

Why in the name of evolution did YOU not ask this ? while the repair guy was there.

here's your sign

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even if it was from the heater there should not be smoke in the vents. The exhaust from the furnace should not be going into the vents to heat the apartment. I would bump up the heat and see if it does indeed start smoking. If it smokes i would get back in touch with the landlord. Smoke could also mean other thing getting pumped into the apartment like co2 which is scentless and very dangerous.