Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want some advice on how to start a band and also how to keep the band...

...together without arguing? My friend and I are starting a band. I play Drums/Keyboard, he plays Keyboard. We have both wanted to do this for a while and we are both in our senior year of high school. Its now or never.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a freshman and me and some friends just started a band, too. The easiest way not to get in a argument is just to listen to everyone's opinion. I don't know if you guys do covers or originals but either way if one of you doesn't like a song, don't play it. If you do it this way and just listen to each others ideas it'll work out well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like stated above me, its all about communication. Make sure you guys can agree on the music you guys wanna play. When practicing, it is IMPORTANT to maintain volume control. Make sure everyone can hear each others instrument without one person being louder than the others. Theres always some punk ass guitarist blasting his amp at a concert while his band mates cannot be heard. And communicate with other bands or musicians to diversify influences, advice, and share music. Its best to learn from other peoples mistakes, especially seasoned musicians (older musicians).

You should ask around your school for other musicians before looking around for other guitarists or strangers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well dude, its all about communication.
    The arguing thing can only be solved by picking the right members. You gotta have sensible, agreeable people in your band, and be sure to try and be sensible and agreeable yourself. If you can't be friends with these people outside of the band, it will never work.
    Try Craigslist to find members. We just found a super brutal guitarist there and he is great.
    Practice weekly, bi weekly even.

Create a MySpace and start looking for shows once you have a 20 - 35 minute set you're confident with. Some venues will find you. Look for battle of the bands type of stuff to enter. Learn about music and equipment.