Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member MommytoLilyt10/05/09t's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Help with vent-less heater?

We are currently renting a home with a vent-less natural gas heater. This is the first home we have rented with a gas heater and knew nothing about it. My father, who has a degree in HVAC, said the heater was unsafe because it is not located under a window. We do not have the handbook, and I can not find a phone number for the manufacturer. I am looking for any information about locations for, precautions, etc for the heater. I would also like it if someone can tell me a number to call for them. The manufacturer is Dyna-Glow, and the model number is RMI-80NGT. The heater has 3 different warning labels about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, including symptoms. I am pregnant and I have a 1 year old daughter in the home. We are always home since I am a stay at home mom. This really worries me. I called the gas company, and all they could tell me is to call the manufacturer but didn't have a phone number for them.

If you need any more information to help me, please ask! I am desperately looking for help and coming to dead ends...

I forgot to add, the heater was installed into the wall of our hallway. I did read that it should be located in a place with no traffic. The hallway is very narrow and anyone going to the bathroom as well as my husband and I going to our room will have to pass it. We have ran into it several times with it not being turned on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those type of heaters are very common in Oklahoma and I have had them in many of my homes. You can get a Co2 detector that will let you know if the Oxygen level reaches a danger zone. (it goes off like a fire alarm) There are so many safety devices on it I don't believe you will have a problem. The house that you are in is probably older and has many drafts and air leaks. If all else fails you can crack a window open about an 1/2 inch.