I'm not sure, that is why I ask, if I have any legal back-up that I can use to argue a parking ticket. I am a senior student at a university, and due to the fact that my last two classes were not offered at the university in the evening (as I have a job as a software developer in the day), I petitioned and was permitted to take the two courses are a nearby community college.

The college is not located in the city, and after enrolling in the college, I did not receive a welcome package. I only got a letter saying I was accepted and that I could enroll in classes.

I drive to school and there are no gates to get into the parking lots. The parking lots do not have parking meters, and they did not have any signs (except in the faculty spots) stating that I could not park. So I did. I parked for 2 weeks, and then last night I got out of class and there was a ticket with a fine because I did not have a hang-tag permit. I noticed that half the other cars around me did not either, and two others also had a ticket under their wiper.

So, a) I was not properly informed by the school that I needed a hang-tag. b)There was not security guard/gate checking for hang-tags when you pull into the lot. c) There were no signs in the parking lot stating that a permit/pass/tag was required.

Because of their "lack" of ability to communicate the guidelines, am I at an advantage when it comes to beating this fine?

I understand that: "I didn't know" isn't a valid argument...IF...and only IF they took the proper channels to communicate the rules. They, in my opinion, did not.

What is your opinion. If you feel I can argue it, do you have any resources or links from online that I can use in my defense?