Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

My 11month old whines incessantly for food when others eat around him...?

Whenever someone around him is eating he whines, even after he just ate.

& when he eats, he can eat & eat. The problem mostly occurs when we're out at a resturant. He starts whining the second he sits in the highchair, through when the food comes, and the whole time we're eating. & by whining, I mean loud, almost screaming, until we give him food. Obviously I don't want to give into him, causing problems in the future, so I'd like to end it now. Any ideas on what I can try to do?

& how much is "normal" for an 11month old to eat?

& I don't need comments like 'then just don't bring him to resturants'.
    I feed him when I'm eating & he's near me wanting some.
    He shoves the food in faster than I can cut it most of the time.

I'm just concerned because my boyfriend & I are both overweight. I would really like for him to be, or at such a young age anyways. He's an active little guy, so he's working off all he eats!
    OMG! this is ridiculous. I FEED MY CHILD!!! geeez! My question is because he starts eating the 2nd he's in a highchair continues eating the whole time. That's from the time we order, the food is made, and the entire time we're eating.
    I have NEVER deprived my child of food. How do people read into things like this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    i know exactly what ur talking about .
    My son has just stopped doing that now at 21 months . it progressivly got less and less tho .
    He still eats anything and everything tho . If hes hungry he will hang around like a bad smell and try to climb up ur leg ( or who ever has food lol ) , if hes not that hungry he will just buzz in have a taste , continue playing but will come back every now and then for another taste , lol .
    If its not junk food or something he would choke on ,then iwould just give him some .
    I would make sure that i only ate fruit or healthy stuff around him tho .
    And he will now eat fruit of veggie sticks all day if he could .
    and my son isnt over weight either , hes about 50 percential .
    i think withholding food is more likely to cause problems .. if he cant have it when he wants it , then when its there hes just going to eat more and more coz who knows when the next time it will be avalible again .
    ive only just sorted out my over eating problem because as a teen ( growing up with 3 teen brothers ) it was eat fast and eat now , because there was nothing ever left if u were hunrgy later .. teen boys eat alot , lol
    Just make sure u only offer healthy food and over eating shouldnt be a problem .

As for how much is " normal " , at 11 months my son was having 3 5 oz bottle of formula, another 5 oz of other fluids , and since baby jars and stuff are all differnt sizes ( my son was on table food not purees tho ) im going to say that if i mushed it all up it would prooly be about 15 oz . i think lol

ohh and i would make my son eat slowly .. because when ur stomach is actually full , it takes about another 20 mins for the brain to relise that the stomach is full

Downloads
    Uploads
    Take him to an endocrinologist, or some one who knows about what happens when kids get the inherited disease, It might well be Cushing Syndrome

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would not worry about this too much. As you said, your son is very active and that is great and he will burn off his food very quickly. If he is asking for food, then he probably is hungry. Toddlers don't understand eating to excess like adults do, they only eat when they are genuinely hungry.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh goodness my 19 month old does that as well and it drives me crazy. The other night it was so bad I ended up leaving with her and having my dinner packed to go.. yes any idea would be great.. I have tried bringing her fav. food toys putting her next to daddy, putting her plate infront of me then giving it to her.. Goodness good question

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why in the world are you taking him to a restaurant and eating in front of him? You should have that child taken away from you. If you came into a restaurant where I was eating I would call the police and have you arrested. What is wrong with you?

You are neglecting one of his most basic needs. My kids are 2 years old. Whenever we go out ot eat we take them and we feed them too. Even at 11 months old we fed them at the same time with us. We never ate food in front of our children and we never will. That is neglect.

I would think that he is probably crying because he is hungry and you are eating in front of him.

At 11 months old, my son was eating pretty much anything we ate. We have always let him eat how much he wants. He is tall and thin and never over eats. He would eat his entire plate of food and then eat off his daddy's plate and then want milk and dessert.

Again, we don't eat in front of our children if they aren't eating. If I am hungry and want a snack then I give one to the kids as well, or I don't eat. When my son was about 6 months old he had to have an MRI done. Since he had to have anesthesia he was not allowed to eat for 12 hours. So I sent my husband to a restaurant with my daughter and they ate out. My son and I stayed in and drank water. He was not allowed to have liquid for up to 4 hours so when it was time for my daughter to have her milk my husband took her to another room to give her milk. We didn't let anyone eat or drink in front of him. But then again we love our child and would never put our own needs and wants before his.

This is so sad for your child. I really hope someone sees what you are doing and reports it. I know I would if you were in the same restaurant as I.

Why are so many people agreeing that it is terribel that he does that? Why are you people not feeding your children? What is wrong with parents?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eleven months old is plenty old enough for him to be eating when you eat, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. If he's super-fast with cut up food, then don't give him so much cut up food! Give him his cut up meal and then a whole bread roll. Trust me, it'll take him a while to get through that