Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should I complain about my psychologist? Were her comments racist?

I’m a university student and I was sexually assaulted on campus a few months ago. I was feeling very demoralized after the incident (extremely low self-esteem, so much anxiety that I wouldn’t even go out of my apartment on some days), so I went to my school’s Counseling Center. When I went in, my psychologist did almost NOTHING to help me. Instead, she focused on my ethnicity (Asian-American) because she supposedly specializes in “multicultural issues.” She would bring up completely irrelevant points: “You’re Japanese, so I know you’ve been taught to respect your elders.” “Are you from Arcadia?” (a nearby city with a large Asian-American population, where I am NOT from.) “Is your brother a stereotypical nerdy Asian?” (And this wasn’t just side talk – to her, this was part of her way to help.) When I asked her to please not judge me by my race, her response was “I have more knowledge than you.” Then, she gave me a handout on Asian stereotypes. I was sexually assaulted, and you want to talk about Asian stereotypes?! Other than that, she only briefly touched over the assault. Whenever I would bring it up, she would say something like “That’s all in the past. Let’s not talk about it.” But I wanted to talk about!! I wanted to deal with that issue specifically! Then she referred me to a Stress/Social Anxiety group because, according to her, I am shy. She also spent much time trying to fix my “shyness.”

I felt her to be incompetent, rude, and offensive. Because she focused so much on my race and other red herrings, I felt I was given ineffective treatment.

Should I complain about this psychologist to the Counseling Center director? Is it a big enough issue? I would also like to request additional sessions. My school offers a maximum number of sessions, and I have used them all up with this inept therapist. Which is partly my fault – I should have requested a different psychologist immediately.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, make a complaint and specify about the additional sessions. This is ridiculous. Nobody should be treated like this after what you went through.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No , I am sure these questions asked of you must be somehow part of helping you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i know how u are feeling and i know what the counsellor seeing in you..

from the start, may i know who sexually assaulted u?? what did they do..

i honestly agree that asian, like me, do still have that syhness or so called conservative...

Since this had happen, YOU OUGHT TO KICK WHOEVER-SEXUALLY-ASSAULTED-YOU IN THE GUT!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course you should complain. She should be fired. She's was probably trying to use you for some stupid thesis research. Reading about it made me angry, people like that should lose their license and go back to stupidland. Complain until she's history and you get proper treatment. What kind of an idiot says "that's all in the past". It's a very big issue, the director should hear about it because counseling is to help the students, not to help the idiotic psychologists in their imbecile research.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, go complain. Her questions are completely unnecessary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my opinion that bitch definitely needs to be reported. She should have been focusing on the issue that you addressed to her and beside the fact that she didn't focus on that issue, her comments are completely racist and judgmental. I'd ask your university if it would be possible for your sessions with this psychologist to not be accounted for seeing as she did nothing to help you with your issue. Explain to them that you would have switched therapists but you thought maybe the lady wasn't as ignorant she seemed the first couple remarks or say that you felt uncomfortable at the time requesting another therapist. Don't know if that helps but that lady needs to be reported. Racial stereotypes should not be accepted especially from someone who is suppose to be giving advice and support.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to life. You ran into an a-hole. Move along.

That's my best advice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, she seemed almost obsessed with your ethnicity which had nothing to do with anything in this case. You did not receive the help you were seeking because if this. Complain loud and clear!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Talk to the school nurse about it. I hope you reported it to the police.

Here's a suggestion for a letter:

Dear Counseling Center Director,

Counselor ---- referred me to a Stress/Social Anxiety group because of shyness. I was sexually assaulted on campus and do not feel that group would be a good fit for my issues. I, also, do not feel that the sessions I had with Counselor ---- should count for more than two sessions. Could you help me arrange sessions with a counselor who is experienced with sexual assault? I was too inexperienced to realize that my issue was not being dealt with, and I need your help to resolve this.

Sincerely,

Student ----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast