When we argue I try to stay calm and give my own opinions in a mature way but she just won't be reasonable; she thinks that because she's the parent she can say and do whatever she likes. Which I suppose is true, but it makes me sooo angry when she's screaming and shouting at me whilst I'm trying to be composed and rational. I mean, who is the adult here??? She swears at me and calls me really horrible stuff as well, which is out of order as I would NEVER do that to her - like I say, I try to give my side of the story without being rude. But when I do eventually lose it and start yelling back at her, she flies off the handle and tells me that I'm being out of order (in not such nice words, may I add!)
I mean, WHAT REACTION DOES SHE WANT FROM ME??? If I keep quiet, she's like "don't you dare ignore me!" If I speak my mind in a respectful way she shouts in my face, and if I yell back at her she goes absolutely ballistic. My brothers just take whatever she throws at them without saying much, but that's not the person I am! I don't want to be a doormat and let her walk all over me - she might be the parent in this relationship but she ISN'T always right, whatever she likes to believe. Not that she'd apologize even if she realised.

Please don't get me wrong... I'm not some stroppy teenager rebelling against authority, and neither is my mum some crazy woman. We're actually very close and don't argue that often - it's just that when we do, all hell breaks loose! How can I stop our arguments spiralling out of control without sacrificing who I am as a person?

P.S: Just wanted to add that I'm not a difficult teenager... I don't smoke or take drugs or have underage sex or bunk off school or stay out all night drinking stupid amounts of alcohol. I don't sponge off my parents for money (I have my own weekend job) and I feel I pull my own weight around the house. In fact, I'd say my mum's had it pretty easy with me over the years! Not that I'm claiming to be an angel or anything - I'm very stubborn and I stick up for myself and I refuse to apologize unless I'm truly sorry. That's just the way I've been brought up.

PLEASE HELP!