Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question about a rescued lurcher that barks, whines and looks like he wants to

eat every dog that passing by.? Hi everyone

I have a 18 month old lurcher who’s a rescue which barks, lunges and whines at every dog going so walks are like near impossible. He is so terrible that I dread going for a walk.

He gets on ok with my other two dogs ok. As the lurcher is the youngest of the dogs at 18 months and the other two are 5 yrs old (who is a support dog for my partner) and 6 yrs old he is really bouncy compared to them.

I’ve tried changing his food to Burns which seems to help a little bit.

In the house he is ok apart from the fact it’s like he is always on alert twenty four seven. It’s just when out of the house he is like this when he sees other dogs and cats etc. he again is very alert when out walking and he pulls a little when walking on leash but he is mighty strong once he sees the other dogs and I can’t get his attention to distract him and unfortunally even if I see the dogs before him and try to distract he will spin round in order to get at them. I’ve had a behaviourist out to see him and she just aid oh he wants to be friends with the other dogs but that’s ok with me apart from why does he have to drag me half way across a field in the mean time and behave like he does towards them making other owners thing he is uncontrolled and will attack their dog and will avoid him like the plaque. I have other owners pick their dog up so he wouldn’t get near them and as soon as I explain he is trying to be social they are too scared of him by then. I have spent so much money out on this dog with halti's, non pull harness, behaviourist (which she was crap) and nearly all the gadgets going I have brought.

It’s like living with a lunatic and it’s not upsetting the other dog that is a support dog so I may have to take him back to the sanctuary though I really don’t want to have to do that cos I’m so attach to him now.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Alien

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have Friends with dogs he's never met?? if so, have them bring them all over for a play date (everyone on a leash of course) and see how he handles it...he's kinda past the age of socializing, but it can still be done. But if he gets along with your friends' dogs all go on a walk together (if your friends' dogs behave well on a walk he'll learn too) When he acts up on a walk like going after another dog, tug hard on the leash (suggest you get a harness tho if you don't already) it may not work as easy as it sounds, my dog NEVER pays attention to me when there are other dogs around...it just takes time and patience...took me several frustrated tries with my dog. But the key is to just socialize him with your friends dogs and if possible take him places with you...parks...pet stores etc...get him to know a ton of different smells so not just one scent might make him react bad....=)

Downloads
    Uploads
    A... what? What's a lurcher?

Anyway. You take this risk adopting any dog from a rescue or a shelter. I'm not saying don't do that, not at all, I support adoption 100%! However, a lot of animals who come to rescues and shelters have an unknown history. He could have been abused and quite frankly, he wasn't socialized. If you're willing to work hard on resocializing and training him, then good for you . If you don't think you can do it though, most all rescues will take back their dogs without a question.

Good luck in whatever you choose, and thank you for opting to adopt!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's UNTRAINED,ILL-MANNERED,SPOILED *ROTTEN & NASTY!!!
    It needs it's monster self CORRECTED!!!! HARD....every time it's twitches an eye toward another dog!
    If you refuse to...are unable to...correct & control-KEEP IT HOME!
    Does NOT "want friends"-want to ATTACK & FIGHT!

&....being a particular sort of mutt doesn't have anything to do w/anything

Junior Member AphroditetOnHolidaystt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    First of all - harnesses (no matter what gimmick they try to sell you on) are not good for a dog that is lunging at dogs/people. Harnesses make it easier for a dog to pull - that's why you see them on sled dogs. Haltis are also crap, in my opinion.

Get your dog a prong collar for your problems with its walks. Have someone teach you how to fit it and use it correctly. They are much safer than choke chains and very effective.
    Get a real trainer (your behaviourist sucked, because they are just a marketing gimmick themselves). This dog sounds like it needs a lot of socialization and obedience training.