Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pardon the rant but atheists...?

Would you please stop referring to the bible as a fairy tale. I am an atheist/agnostic as well, but to just toss out all religious works as fairy tales is short sighted, ignorant and insulting. Science is more than math and biology.

Works such as the Old testament and Rigveda etc etc are among the first written records in history and the amount of anthropological evidence that you can garner out of these materials are immense.

So please, stop being a retards and calling the Bible a fairy tale.
    What is it? It is an early piece of literary work that chronicles some of the earliest periods of history. It's discuss what some of the early customs and beliefs where in the first civilizations. Etc etc

Anthropology is a science, and yes you can go back through most of my questions and answers.

Why would you doubt I am agnostic? Wtf..

Sigh... it wasn't a generaliization. atheists call it a fairy tale, not ALL atheists. Christians certainly don't.

I am starting to think people are just looking to get offended. Im not offended you call it a fairy tale. I just find it annoying that those that hold to science and say the bible has no scientific value. Which is not true.
    A fairy tale was intended to be seen and read as fictitious. The bible was intended to be taken literally. i suppose that would be the largest difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The bible is wonderful to read, if you think of it as just mythology.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, you must believe in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and why wouldn't you. given the fact that you are disputing Atheism. Which sounds like you are not an Atheist. Yes the 'bible' was intended to be taken literally, but that was back then, before greed & money was to takn over.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesnt the Catholic church make billions of dollars each year?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't ever refer to it that way. I have compared it to Harry Potter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not a retards!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The bible is far from the anywhere near the first written records, and it's ignorant to say such a silly thing. In fact I don't care if you are an atheist/agnostic/scientologist/christian. The bible is a book full of fairy tales. That's like saying fiction books now are accurate because they mention areas that currently exist, or things that actually happened. It's still a fiction book, you sir are a moron.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We are definitely a retards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What else do you expect us to call it? It's a book of stories we don't believe in that sound very much out of a fairytale what with the talking snake, man in the sky and this Garden of Eden. It's not an insult to not share the same belief. And i actually like the bible it makes a good fictional read. And i gotta say i cannot tell you how angry it makes me when a religious person insults ME. Calling me naive, calling me silly. What can i say? You get what you give.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why then do we put 'Lord of the Rings' in the Fiction section?

Saying that a magic sky wizard created reality is fiction. I don't care what anthropology you may cite.

Downloads
    Uploads
    While I sort of agree with your sentiment, most of the early "history" in the bible - certainly the books of the Torah - are most probably legend rather than a record of actual history.

The legends of a people can give us an insight into their culture, but your assertion that "vast amounts" of anthropological evidence are available from it is well off the mark.

Anthropology is also a social science, not a physical science, so your use of the word "science" here is used to imply an accuracy and surety that does not exist. People who challenge the presence of "science" in the bible are typically - as you well know - referring to physical sciences. The bible has no scientific value in that sense whatsoever, another fact I'm sure you're quite aware of.

You just want to be right, like every other person around here who thinks they are the only ones who've ever heard the big words they learnt yesterday.

Edit...
    "The bible was intended to be taken literally"

Interesting. Not if you ask most of the people who believe it be the word of God. Biblical literalism is a predominantly modern American invention.

Note: That fact is anthropological. You should have known that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast