We have a cockatoo who is about 11 years old. We got him when he was 10 from a woman who could no longer take care of him. He used to only scream when the light was left on and he wanted to go to sleep, but now he seems to do it constantly. It's getting really too much for us, and i know that if this keeps on, my mother is going to end up giving him to someone who is able to deal better with him screaming and awful attitude.

As I said, he is 11 years old and is sexually mature. He is desperate to mate and is constantly wanting to have sex. I think that he has been screaming so much lately because he has no mate. We have also noticed he has been being really nippy and I just get the vibe that he is so frustrated that he is angry constantly. He will also scream if he thinks someone is home, because he knows it annoys everyone.
Is this normal?

Is there any way to stop him from doing it so often? He has a ball at the bottom of his cage which he lays on while it is under his wing all day. I believe he occasionally tries to mate on it. That stops him from screaming, but he does not play with it all the time.

My mum took some advice and tried taking her fingers and dipping it in water and splashed him, but it only silences him for the few seconds as you walk away. We decided to stop doing this because with how cold it is getting, we're afraid he may catch a cold. Even though he isn't drenched in water, you never know, right?

Also, please don't suggest getting a female cockatoo for him. No way, not at all.