My dad says that other families have problems, but they just keep them contained.

He calls me stupid, beats me and is always telling me how I something is wrong with my head. However, he does push me to study even though he he does it with threats.

I am really confused. I tried to cut him off when I got my Engineering degree, but he called my friends and made me look bad, and then he called over a 100 offices after getting the general region in where I worked. Then he said how I had forgotten to give my number. Then after that, I said leave me alone and don't call my office. He again did anyways.

Then he he would call me every once in a while and tell me how I was doing a low class job. Then he would say how I was stupid when I took the job. What do I do?

My mom is always like he wants what is best for me, and they are like how I have it so much better than other people in 3rd world countries and should be greatful.
So now I came back home because I had a mental breakdown at work because a co-worker was telling me how I was horrible. Everyone at work was asking him why he was so mean to me. Then he was like quit. Then when I got home he was like you can stay at home if you become a doctor. Then he was like when I was working how I was becoming one of those kids that are lazy and just stay at home. Furthermore, he told me not to tell anyone what I was doing.
My friends tell me that everyone has problems when I told them about work. I dont talk to them about home life though. Are these things normal? I really don't like him.